Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: MSNBC Front page...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is the end of online poker the way we know it. Im glad it became public though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody needs to relax. I really doubt this will make any noticeable impact on the online poker scene. First of all, anybody who plays poker online is going to take time and actually read the article, and it should be pretty obvious after reading the article that it is an isolated incident and far from the norm in online poker. The people who are just looking at the headlines are people who don't give a damn about online poker to begin with and probably had no intention of ever playing in the first place, especially after UIGEA.

Lastly, some good can come out of this. Think about it. The government really can't do much more to hurt online poker than what has already been done, and there is a chance that they see this incident as proof that foreign based online poker rooms aren't safe for Americans, and since they know they can't do anything to stop people from playing online, they decide to tax and regulate it so they can be sure the online poker scene is safe in their hands.

Now that's optimistic thinking no doubt, but it's well within the realms of possibility. And I think that is a far likelier result than this story doing any kind of major damage to online poker as we know it today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, but you do realize that this story, with those horrible headlines, might make it almost impossible to convince new players to somehow start and play poker online? And possibly not only in America, which is a complete disaster? I'm pretty sure it's going to be all around the world media, in this form or other. It's a nice fun story, even if you don't give a [censored] about online poker, or any gambling or anything like that, and you're just a bored editor looking for cool news stories. And it's a very nice, sexy, story.

It's really really bad, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are well-reasoned but unfounded views. Calm down, everybody, please. Online poker is never going away, no matter what laws get passed or what stories are in the news. The operators have made far too much money to just fade away into the night. Do you really think Stars isn't right now creating a new advertising scheme to capitalize on this, emphasizing the security of their software with just enough technospeak to soothe the ESPN/WSOP chimps' concerns? I would put my entire (pathetic) net worth that something similar to what I've just described is already in the offing. I don't know, it just doesn't feel like a major disaster to me. I think it will actually make the industry safer and more mainstream long-term.

I.D. theft does not prevent people from shopping online. All politicians are obviously whores who are corrupt and full of [censored] at all times. People know this, and yet they support them. Major league sports are rife with dopers and cheats, and the games go on, with robust audience participation. Marion Jones just confessed to using steroids in her Olympic career, and I'm pretty sure the next Olympics will still be held.

I think any exposure online poker gets is good.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 PM

I think I get this. The cheat was done not to make money; otherwise, they could have done a lot more things to hide cheating instead of making it so obvious, but it was done to destroy AbsolutePoker.

Who would have an interest in destroying AbsolutePoker. Well, could it be disgruntled ex-employees like... the ex-CEO, esp if he was "forced out" in less than favorable situation.

The fact that the ex-CEO's account and his "best buddy"'s account were used would give credence to that idea that this was a revenge to destroy AbsolutePoker.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I get this. The cheat was done not to make money; otherwise, they could have done a lot more things to hide cheating instead of making it so obvious, but it was done to destroy AbsolutePoker.

Who would have an interest in destroying AbsolutePoker. Well, could it be disgruntled ex-employees like... the ex-CEO, esp if he was "forced out" in less than favorable situation.

The fact that the ex-CEO account and his "best buddy"'s account were used would give credence to that idea that this was a revenge to destroy AbsolutePoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i'm just being paranoid given the scandal, but this is a suspicious first post.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 PM

justaPlayer,

Again, I really hope I'm wrong on this, but most of the points that were made in this thread to "calm" me and others down, don't really work IMO.

For instance, you write: "Do you really think Stars isn't right now creating a new advertising scheme to capitalize on this, emphasizing the security of their software with just enough technospeak to soothe the ESPN/WSOP chimps' concerns?"

Well, this would make really boring and "bad" news, from the media point of view. "online poker is rigged!" is a great headline. "online poker in not rigged anymore!" will never in a million years will be a headline. No editor will ever give a crap about it.

Your other comparison with main-stream sports etc also don't really work. Online poker is in a really fragile state to begin with, people (and mass media) are actively looking to show how rigged/wrong/ilegal/whatever it is. This story is a huge help for them, regardless of how good it is for the future security of online games (which I'm of course very concerned about, like any honest poker player).
Old 10-19-2007, 11:34 PM

someone in my 6.50 SNG just said something about it, and another person at the table already knew about it also.

Beat: Was playing a 6.50 SNG

But seriously this is not good
Old 10-19-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The fact that the ex-CEO account and his "best buddy"'s account were used would give credence to that idea that this was a revenge to destroy AbsolutePoker.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i'm just being paranoid given the scandal, but this is a suspicious first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's paranoia, do you really the think the cheaters would be dumb enough to post on this forum when the 2+2 mods already know their IP addy's?

errrrr.....dont answer that!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 PM

Nothing is [censored] here, Dude. Come on, you're being very un-Dude.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
justaPlayer,

Again, I really hope I'm wrong on this, but most of points that were made in this thread to "calm" me and others down, don't really work IMO.

For instance, you write: "Do you really think Stars isn't right now creating a new advertising scheme to capitalize on this, emphasizing the security of their software with just enough technospeak to soothe the ESPN/WSOP chimps' concerns?"

Well, this would make really boring and "bad" news, from the media point of view. "online poker is rigged!" is a great headline. "online poker in not rigged anymore!" will never in a million years will be a headline. No editor will ever give a crap about it.

Your other comparison with main-stream sports etc also don't really work. Online poker is in a really fragile state to begin with, people (and mass media) are actively looking to show how rigged/wrong/ilegal/whatever it is. This story is a huge help for them, regardless how good it is for the future security of online game, which I'm of course very concerned about, like any honest poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say so. I don't really like arguing and you're obviously determined to feel how you feel about it, so I won't bother. I just think that for every person that wants to bring it down, there is one that will fight for it with equal vehemence, and that the sites that are still operating after last October are survivors and can overcome obstacles. Cheating has always been present in poker from its inception and will always be part of the game. It is also hardly new that some sects look unfavorably on the game and wish to outlaw it, seeking any substantiation of their opinions that they can. Pfft. Lol.

I have said all I'm going to say about this. You are certainly entitled to your views. Thank you for the debate.

With no disrespect,
justaplayer
Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM

All,

Sorry for my pessimism in this thread. I saw the top headline on msnbc, with the pic and all, and just went: [censored] [censored] [censored] [censored].

I really hope I'm wrong on everything i said here, and that online poker will survive this, improve and prosper!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM

you're all good. we're all worried, but, again, i just "feel like" everything's gonna be ok.