Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 03:55 AM

Default Re: OT - My Drunken Breakdown + a Quest

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with playing these games as long as you play correctly. Splashpot is a great example (except for the questionable call last night of not reraising a/a with 2 callers when reraised)

But drinking at one of these things is like playing russian roulette.

Just watching Pwn last night was painful. I assume he was drinking...or is he always like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he just wanted to gamble some and have fun.

The whole tone of this thread is amusing to say the least. If someone like Deuce or Good2cu wanted to sit down and "play correct" don't you think they'd rather do it in a regular cash game at higher stakes? It's stress relief and gambling with friends for a couple hundred bucks. Who cares? If you can't afford it or just don't want to play that way, then don't, but don't ridicule someone for how they want to spend their money.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:09 AM

A few hundred bucks, for some it was a lot more than that and a very large % of their bankroll. Some of these people are under 21 years old and are formulating extremely bad money management/gambling tactics. This could turn into really self destructive behavior when they become older, as we all know of many good poker players who constantly blow money in ridiculous -EV games. This is a forum that is supposed to help people, not just be silent as they continue to engage in self destructive behavior.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A few hundred bucks, for some it was a lot more than that and a very large % of their bankroll. Some of these people are under 21 years old and are formulating extremely bad money management/gambling tactics. This could turn into really self destructive behavior when they become older, as we all know of many good poker players who constantly blow money in ridiculous -EV games. This is a forum that is supposed to help people, not just be silent as they continue to engage in self destructive behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are making too much of this. I know Jason's game perhaps better than anyone else on this forum, and can say for certain that he will make it back. He just fell into a pitfall of being a poker player, and will over come it.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:17 AM

Dude I'm not talking about one person in particular, and probably not the person you are talking about. There is just an attitude that its ok to just blow 10-20% of your bankroll doing silly obvious -EV, which to me is completely insane.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever attend the HUC, I'm pretty sure your head will explode.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:26 AM

Yea, Im just saying....I know guys around 26-27 now that just cannot hold onto their money, despite being decent poker players. Makes me sad to see much younger people behaving in the same way and everyone acting like its cool/normal. IMO it's not normal, its extremely bad, and such habits need to be curtailed as soon as possible. It may be okay for some of you to exhibit such behaviors, but for others it can later on literally end up destroying their life, relationships and etc etc.

And please I am not referring to one person in specific. Some people have the bankroll to screw around with certain amounts of money and some don't.

btw - Also I remember doing stuff like this when I was younger, it's not like I've never been insane. I felt terrible every time afterwards, and these terrible feelings have led to what are now very good bankroll management skills. I can imagine my money management skills might not be as good if I had a group of people encouraging me when I went a bit nuts, and acting like it was cool to either throw away lots of money for entertainment and play way above my bankroll.

It could be that everyone in this game and forum is fine, and will have no money management/gambling problems in the future, however it's just such a serious serious leak and can really lead to huge personal and financial problems, moreso than misplaying AKo when you miss postflop.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:36 AM

I just wanted to emphasize that I strongly, strongly agree with everything curtains has said in this thread.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I remember doing stuff like this when I was younger, it's not like I've never been insane. I felt terrible every time afterwards, and these terrible feelings have led to what are now very good bankroll management skills

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that you made a mistake and learned from it? What a revelation. Jason is young, smart, and much better with money than I will ever be. I doubt that you will see him do something like this again.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:45 AM

How many times do I have to say I'm not talking about Jason?

There are tons of posters here who have very questionable money management skills. They may not think it's important and it might not be for some of them, but it might be unbelievably important for the others.

You act like there aren't a whole busload of professional poker players who aren't always broke because they can't help gambling like an idiot from time to time. I have a young friend who recently went from around 100k to approximately zero in one day at the crap tables (non 2+2er). It can be extremely dangerous and I don't think its something to make light of or act like it's not important.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How many times do I have to say I'm not talking about Jason?

There are tons of posters here who have very questionable money management skills. They may not think it's important and it might not be for some of them, but it might be unbelievably important for the others.

You act like there aren't a whole busload of professional poker players who aren't always broke because they can't help gambling like an idiot from time to time. I have a young friend who recently went from around 100k to approximately zero in one day at the crap tables (non 2+2er). It can be extremely dangerous and I don't think its something to make light of or act like it's not important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, it's just that you make it sound like it is something that is a total disaster, when in fact, it is an obstacle that every player most overcome. There is a thin line between not letting losing money bother you, and being a degenerate. That is why so many people fail as a pro. I went through it rather publicly this winter, have learned to overcome it, and am not only a better player, but a better person for it. Going broke, and having to struggle to get by really makes you put your life into perspective.