Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Al Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly more than irrelevnt in that the future generations tend to do rather well from disasters in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assertion is not about climate change- it's far more general nonsense. Your argument is simply that disasters are 0EV to +EV for generations far enough in the future.

Now, if you remove the blatant survivor bias (man, that asteroid 65 million years ago was the best thing ever for mammals. Dinosaurs, not so much), I doubt your statement is even true.

Even taking it on faith, if disasters have been historically good, why WOULDN'T (slightly) more be better? Your position is inconsistent.

If you have a specific argument on why heating the world 5C will be good for people 500 years from now, make it. Your general argument isn't even self-consistent.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm too young to remember the details but I when I was very young the fear was that an Ice Age was coming

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is what you get if you only get your news from propaganda and sensationalist reporters. Try reading what actual scientists write next time. Heres a quote from the 1975 National Academy of Sciences report:

"Without this fundamental understanding, it does not seem possible to predict climate-neither in short-term variations nor in any in its larger long-term changes."

http://tinyurl.com/2nnru8
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its logically possible he cares about clinate change beacuse of how it impact humanity in the year 20,000. But it would make him stunningly strange and a huge pillock.

Why not just accept the obvious that if his well-meaning its because he cares about the devastation it will cause to those who will live through it.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he cares about making a lot of money from carbon trading.

I find it odd that people are always trying to look for self-interest connections when it comes to issues like the war but with Gore no one ever mentions that he profits greatly if people buy into GW.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well this is what you get if you only get your news from propaganda and sensationalist reporters. Try reading what actual scientists write next time. Heres a quote from the 1975 National Academy of Sciences report:

[/ QUOTE ]

I was two. The point being is that there was this great fear much like there is now. The science then didn't support it much like the science now does not support man-made GW. In both cases though the popular media reports the sensational not the science.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at the last two reports. C02 levels have increased dramatically (at a greater rate then anyone would have projected) yet the IPCC's own projections for temperature have decreased dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source please.

[ QUOTE ]
2) That there is no link between C02 and GW

[/ QUOTE ]

ok
Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Article from the drudge i just read...

Gore Gets a Cold Shoulder

I go to CSU and have read some stuff by and about Dr. Gray before. I find it pretty interesting.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was two. The point being is that there was this great fear much like there is now. The science then didn't support it much like the science now does not support man-made GW. In both cases though the popular media reports the sensational not the science.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave you a list to just about every single major scientific society on the planet with relevant expertise. All of them endorsed AGW. Yet you debunked them with propaganda. If you were reading the scientific reports then feel free to show me an assessment report that endorsed global cooling like the organizations on my list do for AGW.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I go to CSU and have read some stuff by and about Dr. Gray before. I find it pretty interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even Richard Lindzen finds the man competent. This page is in dire need of being updated but it should give you a decent idea of just how bad Dr. Gray has become in his older years.

http://tinyurl.com/2zcdgk

There is a book called Storm world by Chris Mooney that goes into much more detail. The man can't even get the three laws of thermodynamics right anymore.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it a personality thing but I'd like to hear what damage would be caused by, say, lowering carbon emissions or if there is a decent case that higher emissions create results we desire?

luckyme
Old 10-14-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you're seriously claiming the black death or last ice age has some systematic adverse effect on us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already said it's "some", not "all".

[/ QUOTE ]
?????

Some people lose with AA vs 72 all-in preflop but so what.

[ QUOTE ]
"future generations" does not have to mean "all future generations". Those who live through it might be future generations.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh you think by future generations I mean those that live through the calamity. I don't, I mean those that live after the calamity. The longer afterwards the more our (that's those who live through it) calamity becomes a footnote in history.

chez