Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Crazy Future Theories..

Would I be correct in saying that a substantial % of people throughout time have had legitimate (considering the information available to them) fears of the world coming to an end in the near future?

Basically, the more I think about it, it's hard for me to see the world going another 50 years without a massive globe-altering event.

I'm not really scared of some giant evil corporation taking over and sticking a camera up my ass. God knows they'll try, but I can deal with that.

I'm more scared of some small group of people who are not a part of this big evil society. Eventually somebody is going to get a hold of weapons that can do damage on a massive (millions of people) scale.

Side note - would true virtual reality result in mass suicides? If you could experience everything you ever dreamed of, why would you ever want to leave? The more time you spend in virtual reality, the more you let reality slip away and become worse and worse. Sort of like a heroin junkie. Eventually you realize that nothing in life will ever even approach your virtual world, so what's the point?

I cant see any use for keeping some useless body plugged into a virtual world, so these people would just rot. Yes i've seen the matrix.

I cant keep thinking about this [censored].
Old 10-11-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Side note - would true virtual reality result in mass suicides? If you could experience everything you ever dreamed of, why would you ever want to leave? The more time you spend in virtual reality, the more you let reality slip away and become worse and worse. Sort of like a heroin junkie. Eventually you realize that nothing in life will ever even approach your virtual world, so what's the point?

[/ QUOTE ] Haven't we seen this already with hardcore WoW players?

I find it funny that both of my "original" ideas appeared in novels from the 1960s.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 AM

In the future, chess will be completely solved by computers.