Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: What members of the mainstream sports media don\'t suck?

Dick Stockon recently did a Hawks game, and both he and his spotter should be fired. So many just obvious mistakes.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who put Joe Morgan you are a SICK SICK MAN. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Jim Lampley is awesome. Dude is sharp. (I'd consider him mainstream sports media).

Also, remember that year that Mike Piazza did color commentary for the Home Run Derby? If he ever goes into that after his career, he will be awesome.

Al Michaels
Kirk Herbstreit

I kinda like NBC getting Keith Olbermann to do highlights on Football Night in America. It gives me that nostalgic feeling of simpler times... when SportsCenter was cool.

Johnny Miller/Verne Lundquist/Dottie Pepper/Gary McCord/Bill Macatee... all good.
Nick Faldo is great with Jim Nantz.

Patrick McEnroe/Cliff Drysdale combination is pretty solid imo

I've always enjoyed Kurkjian and Gammons.

People that make me uncomfortable listening to them:
Bill Walton
Shannon Sharpe
Dan Marino
Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM

I think Michaels has been in steady decline for awhile now. It used to be you knew you were in great hands with him. Especially if something bizarre happened on the field, he was superb at articulating all the possibilities acutely and succinctly, where most announcers are bumbling to figure out what's even going on. Now, he'll mess up sometimes in those spots, and generally doesn't feel and convey the tone of the game the way he used to, and sometimes seems bored if the game's not a barn-burner. Still one of my favorites, though. I wish he'd go back to doing some baseball.

Marv is an all-time great, and Stockton is just below him IMO. A guy who managed to grow on me over the years is Musburger.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting that I don't think anyone has mentioned Al Michaels even though he is supposed to be considered one of the best and he's on all the freaking time.
I'm not blown-away by Al but he's certainly not terrible.

Also surprised that I think I'm the only one who has mentioned Marv Albert.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Dick Stockton. I find I'm liking his broadcasts more and more with each passing year. I think he's on the Yanks/Indians game tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Albert is an excellent announcer but he's also a convicted felon and that bothers me more than maybe it should. I rant all the time about miscreant criminal athletes getting to keep their jobs and so I think Albert should be out of work for the same reason.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ernie Johnson you must be joking have you seen him on tbs coverage for the MLB playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only for a minute. It warmed my heart and reminded me of Inside the NBA, so I didn't watch it objectively.

I love Bill Walton but I wouldn't put him as a serious pick here because I know people hate him and he's too divisive.

Steve Somers (The Schmoozer) is on NY WFAN radio and is awesome, but again he's divisive - similar sense of humor to Walton, but much smarter. He's actually enough of an underground favorite that Jerry Seinfeld is calling in on Tuesday or Wednesday (it will be mostly about the Mets), and Larry David was supposed to call in last night until his secretary screwed up the scheduling.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Sorry but Walton is horrible imo and I forgot kenny smith has great analysis on the NBA.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

ESPN now forcing us to watch an extra long Sportscenter with 'The Blitz' mixed in is just another reason to hate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you can thank the NFL for this.

ESPN lost the right to do a highlight show before the Sunday night game when NBC got the contract for that game. The NFL could be open about this, but they're not.

Bye-bye, NFL Prime Time. Hello, much of the same stuff repackaged as a segment of Sportscenter.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Lampley is awesome. Dude is sharp. (I'd consider him mainstream sports media).

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] Jim Lampley.

[censored] Larry Merchant too.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:37 PM

jon miller is a great play-by-play man, and one of the few national announcers who will convey the emotion/excitement of the play on the field (unlike those pos's from TBS, and just about damn near every other baseball announcer now that i think about it)

kinda sucks though cuz that also makes him sound disingenuous when he does all the giants games, but whatever, still way the [censored] better than ted robinson