Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: I found $100 left in ATM

I appreciate your kind skepticism.

Good atms at banks (not the dinky ones standing alone in the food court) do in fact do this. I worked as a teller one summer in college. Perhaps this is just older models however.

Little known fact: the red or yellow marker you see on the edge of some $20s are from tellers stocking the atm loading cartridges some of which hold 10 or 20k per cartridge. They count off by some increment (200 $20s lets say) and mark the edge with the marker.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll do you one way deeper...maybe 7 years ago when I was 18 years old, I walked up to an ATM I always use. No one around, not a person in sight...and I hear the familiar beeping of a transaction not yet completed...I walk up to the ATM and it says "Would you like another transaction?" I press yes and withdraw $600 which I know is the limit per transaction. I then keep withdrawing $600 a pop until the limit is reached. I withdrew $1,500 or $1,800 total I think. This was back when $1,500 to $1,800 exceeded my entire net worth.

I was paranoid for an entire week that the police would show up at my door at any moment with the ATM videotape as evidence. They never did and I forgot all about it...until now 7 years later...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you suck

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to suck tremendously. I honestly forgot about doing this 100% for 7 years. I absolutely would not ever do this if it happened to me today. What should I do to absolve my sin?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Go on to the street and find a guy that is your approximate size/age/build.

2. Call his mom a whore and spit in his face.

3. Toss him a bat.

4. Pull out your knife.

5. Answer the age old question.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Is it true that if an ATM shorts you money, say 20 bucks or so you basically lose it?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that if an ATM shorts you money, say 20 bucks or so you basically lose it?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you genuinely believe this?

of course you shouldn't lose money because an ATM makes a mistake.

if you ask for $x, and it gives you $y, both parties have an obligation to correct it.

in some circumstances, it may be difficult to prove a discrepancy, but if you have a bank error, you should contact your bank. this seems really self-evident to me.

if a teller gave you the wrong money, you would get it correected. if an automatic teller gave you the wrong money, should also get it corrected.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wondered this myself.

I had to go into my branch last week and someone at the teller next to mine was getting re-imbursed for being shorted at a bank machine. I didn't hear what proof the person had to provide but it sounded like she was getting the money she was short.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:48 AM

sponger,
I will play you HU for it, .5/1 NLHE on FTP NOW!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sponger,
I will play you HU for it, .5/1 NLHE on FTP NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

sponger plays poker?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm about 99% sure you just pulled this out of your ass

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is true. I am, unfortunately, the kind of person that leaves things in ATMs: both my card and my cash on separate occasions. The cash was $200. When I realized it 45 minutes later, I went into the branch and the teller told me that the ATM was verified every morning, and that it was likely my cash had been sucked right back in. If there was extra cash, they would credit my account. As it happens, I didn't even need to wait because one of the other tellers overheard the conversation and asked me how much cash was in question.

The next person at the ATM had pulled the money out before it was sucked back in and taken it into the bank. She looked at my receipt and gave me the money on the spot.

Also, I think most of the posters in this thread are overestimating the number of people that takke the money. I'm a person that is habitually absent-minded. I'm famous for locking my keys in the car, running out of gas, forgetting to charge my cel, even pre-paying for gas and then driving off (which is always fun to explain to the station cashier). Because of this, I've had a lot of opportunity to observe human nature in action. Most people are kind and honest...it's really amazing. I leave my purse somewhere and get it returned with cash and credit cards intact, I lock my keys in the car and the person next to me breaks into it for me, I run out of gas 40 feet from the pump and the guy at the next pump pushes it for me.

OOT is overly cynical about human nature, IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

When we designed first generation ATM's, the cash & transaction record would have to be removed before the card was returned... Good to see that some companies didn't buy our machines.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a person that is habitually absent-minded. I'm famous for locking my keys in the car, running out of gas, forgetting to charge my cel, even pre-paying for gas and then driving off (which is always fun to explain to the station cashier).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a women, aren't you?