Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Go Pro? advice from Sbrugby

[ QUOTE ]
The correct advice is to say don't do it because if its really right for someone and they're ready they will go for it regardless

[/ QUOTE ]

isnt this from the first pokemon movie?
Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
college is fun. Poker is not. Poker will always be there. College is not as fun when you're 25 and everyone else is 18-22

[/ QUOTE ]

look at how profitable poker was say 2yrs ago and look at the state of the games today. poker will not always be as profitable as it was, or even is today.

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's true, which I think it is, then it sounds like a good reason not to lock yourself into that field and leave yourself some outs.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:32 PM

i'm one of the lowest paid MDs, forensic pathologist working for the state, and i make more than 100/hr, but it took me 4 yrs of college, 4 years of med school, 5 yrs residency and fellowship. Anyways, college is great fun but not for everybody, just do as my old man says though, make yourself a viable commodity, and don't close barn doors. If you trust yourself enough and your game, you have a viable commodity; if not there is always sales.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]aba

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why is it rarely mentioned that you can do both?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously. I never went to college or anyting like that but how much of your time does it honestly take up?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't have to take up much if you don't want it to, but you probably won't get that much out of it if you don't put in the time. Going to school while playing poker is not advisable. You will probably do mediocre in both, or bad in one and ok in another, in my personal experience. I agree with Brian on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

id just like to chime in and say this is a bunch of [censored] if you have some common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yeah. Of course, Jason is right. I'm in school and playing poker and it [censored] rules and I'm happy with my performance in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was contemplating making a response even more mean than this one, but instead i'll ask Jason to maybe do a little more than 'chime in' and actually make a point, because the way I interpret your argument now is that anyone with common sense could do well in both poker and school. And by well, I don't mean making ok money and getting good grades. I've gotten As in classes I didn't learn anything in using my common sense.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:18 PM

college takes MAX 2 hrs a day unless u are an idiot, and if u play poker good enough to go pro u obv arent

seriously, u only need to go to class every other day tops, ur teacher will post notes online and besides he will just reiterate what is already said in the book, just read the book 2 days b4 the test, most classes dont have homework that is graded, and if they do it will only be like 10% of ur grade

maybe once every 2 months u will have to sacrifice a weekend to write a paper, big deal

people that act like college is a huge time drain make me lol
Old 09-16-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone who is under the age of 23 that plays poker semi- seriously, getting a degree before turning pro is much more +EV then dropping out and turning pro immediately for like 90+% of those individuals who fall into this category. I would think this would be obvious to those who disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

people that act like college is a huge time drain make me lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people did technical subjects at good schools rather than some liberal arts [censored].
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 PM

I know it depends on personal abilities and intellects, but I agree with Jamougha.

I think a person who gets a Bachelor's in a hard science or Engineering, has put more effort into their collegiate career than a person with a Bachelor's in Political Science AND a law degree.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why is it rarely mentioned that you can do both?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, seriously. I never went to college or anyting like that but how much of your time does it honestly take up?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't have to take up much if you don't want it to, but you probably won't get that much out of it if you don't put in the time. Going to school while playing poker is not advisable. You will probably do mediocre in both, or bad in one and ok in another, in my personal experience. I agree with Brian on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

id just like to chime in and say this is a bunch of [censored] if you have some common sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

asgree, are u [censored] serious? i know a ton of kids that play 20-40 hours a week and maintain 3.0 avgs as full time students.