Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: *** Official Appalachian State Football 2007 Thread ***

[ QUOTE ]
the right move would be to run a play to the center, get the ball spotted and your team lined up with about 15-18 sec left then spike it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously - what's w/ all the "zomg no time outs" stuff; as if they didn't have plenty of time to do this?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 AM

[X] Thread I never expected to see on 2p2
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 AM

No doubt

I'd have run the ball to the center of the field, fell down. Took a play to spike it and then brought on the kicking unit. I know you've had some fumbles and such, but that seemed like the basic plan of attack 9/10 times.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt

I'd have run the ball to the center of the field, fell down. Took a play to spike it and then brought on the kicking unit. I know you've had some fumbles and such, but that seemed like the basic plan of attack 9/10 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Michigan fan, I assumed the +EV gods were going to let us eek out the victory after ASU made this terrible terrible blunder.

Michigan most likely would have burned their last time out if ASU ran to the middle but then there still would have been ~22-24 seconds left to take a knee then kick it.

Sigh.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 PM

The funny thing about kicking the FG that early, which was ridiculously stupid, is that I am still convinced it won't work and Michigan will go down and score.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 PM

If there is 20 seconds or less left on the clock and your kick is blocked time will almost certainly expire before you can recover the ball, line up, and spike the ball for a second try. With 30 seconds you might get a second chance.

</Devil's Advocate>

I think it was stupid too.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM

Appalachian state is HOT! HOT! HOT!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 AM

Article about bigger CFB upsets

The UTEP one seems legitimately bigger. Top 5 ranked defending national champ with returning QB who goes on to win their conference favored by 40 loses to a team that finishes the season 1-10.

[ QUOTE ]
For all those who have been waiting for the football season to start, Saturday brought a lot of action. It was wall-to-wall football in the sports books here in Vegas as there were 36 games on the betting boards and the majority of them were beamed in on the satellites.

The highlight of the day was Appalachian State's 34-32 upset of No. 5-ranked Michigan. It was the first time that a Division I-AA team (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) has beaten a team ranked in the AP poll. But while most of the major powers rolls over their Division I-AA foes, Appalachian St. was hardly a creampuff as the two-time defending I-AA champions received 69 of 70 first-place votes in the FCS poll.

So, even though many people are calling this the biggest upset in college football history, it's up for debate.
The game wasn't on the regular betting rotation used by Las Vegas and offshore sports books — as is usually the case when a game involved I-AA teams — but the Las Vegas Hilton posted the only number I saw when it opened Michigan -28.5. Sports books supervisor Matt Metcalfe came up with the number, and reported that bets came in at a 10-1 ratio in favor of the Wolverines, who closed as a 31-point favorite.

That's a big number, but it's not the biggest upset in the sport from a point-spread perspective. There's no definitive record book for this sport of thing, but the biggest upset I found was UTEP beating BYU 23-16 in "The Miner Miracle" as a whopping 40-point underdog in 1985. UTEP was the worst team in the WAC at that time (and for a long time) and BYU was the defending national champions with Robbie Bosco back at quarterback for his senior season. Adding to the upset was that it ended up being UTEP's only win of the year while BYU again rolled to the WAC title.

Others that exceeded Appalachian's feat were Oregon State's 21-21 win over Washington as a 37-point underdog in 1985 and Temple's 28-24 victory over Virginia Tech as a 35.5-point underdog in 1998, with North Texas matching it as a 31.5-point favorite with a 21-14 win over Texas Tech in 1991.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Fueling the fire of the 1AA stepping up thing, ISU played Kansas St last year and should have won if not for some boneheaded special teams plays.

I definitely think that the top 5 1AA teams could move to 1A and be successful as long as they didnt join one of the top 4 or 5 conferences.

But I'm an idiot.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 PM

48-7 baby!!! 2-0, aww yeah.