Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Need Tips - Workout Advice for a Girl

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been trying to have a 50 calorie string cheese for breakfast - is that not enough or will this do the trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Eat at least a few hundred calories for crying out loud. 50 calories is like less than a mouthful of real food. PB&J, some sort of egg, protein shake with fruit. These are small but meaningful meals.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

All of that makes a lot of sense and you have some great suggestions. But here's the thing: I don't crash after lunch, my energy level is fine, and I do not ever feel the need to snack. So I guess the main value for me would be to not errode muscle and to "wake up" my metabolism in the morning instead of at lunch time, if that indeed is a result.

Lately I've been trying to have a 50 calorie string cheese for breakfast - is that not enough or will this do the trick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a BMR calculator and break down your meals accordingly. 50 cals shouldn't even register anywhere really. You're probably eating way too little which while it works also promotes your body to keep fat stores.

The photos was a little tounge in cheek, but you should have some way of goal setting and categorizing your performance. I use my weight and also the vanity mirror test. You can use anything really.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use a BMR calculator and break down your meals accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a calorie counting fiend, I know my BMR is around 1300. Do I need to evenly space my calories between 3 meals? Because my natural inclination would be to eat the fewest for breakfast and the most for dinner. How important is this?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a calorie counting fiend, I know my BMR is around 1300. Do I need to evenly space my calories between 3 meals? Because my natural inclination would be to eat the fewest for breakfast and the most for dinner. How important is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is why I rip on MT2R and "intuitive" eating. Your BMR is if you live a sedentary lifestyle. If you eat 1300 a day at your size you'll rack up a massive deficit since it doesn't take into account 1) lifestyle 2) activity. You can somewhat adjust these as well. In you go on a few runs each week and do moderate office work (actual walking around, doing actual things instead of sitting behind a desk).

You'll probably need closer to ~1700 if you were on a more optimal diet. I'm assuming you're eating probably <1k and making a huge jump in a mad recipe for disaster. Try each week to make a small chance possibly? You can move your calories by 100 each week per day to adjust for whatever you think is going on. Just try to eat more smaller meals. Eat more stuff that isn't from a box. Eat something before and after working on. And then just stake onward from there.

Hrm... After rereading your post... I should reiterate how important it is to eat more meals a day or "snack". Say you want to eat 6 meals in a day. You can break it down like:

Breakfast: 300
Mid Morning Snack: 125
Lunch: 300
Afternoon Snack: 125
Dinner: 300
After workout shake: 150
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use my weight and also the vanity mirror test.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM

thremp, that's only like 1300 cals, kinda low no?

speaking of breakfast, when i have time i've been frying 2 scrambled eggs and throwing them in a whole wheat wrap with a little bit of cheese... probably like 500 calories. thoughts?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM

FFK,

I ordered mine from Iron Woody Fitness and they're quite a bit different than the ones you linked to. They are more like a giant rubber band - so they don't have handles attached to them and they are not made of rubber tubing. Now I wanted them to be able to do assisted pullups, resistance pushups, deadlifts, squats, and other full body motions. I do think the ones I linked to would serve you better if you are looking to do similar exercises to the ones I mentioned (which I think you should). I'm not saying the ones you linked to won't work for those purposes, because they may, I just think you'll get more resistance and a longer life span out of the Iron Woody Bands (1 year guarantee). But, they are a little more expensive so maybe you should try your option first and see if it works for you. Hope this helps and doesn't add confusion!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use my weight and also the vanity mirror test.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... When I look in the mirror and say, "Damn I look good."
Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you are trying to lose weight or bulk up, eating more frequently is better. A realistic goal is about 5 meals a day. If your BMR is based on eating nothing for breakfast and a big dinner, it is probably off. You can eat more calories and feel more energetic if you space out your meals better. And remember, a meal does not have to consist of what we would think of as a full dinner.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp, that's only like 1300 cals, kinda low no?

speaking of breakfast, when i have time i've been frying 2 scrambled eggs and throwing them in a whole wheat wrap with a little bit of cheese... probably like 500 calories. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its her BMR, not her "maintenance level". Her metabolism is likely really slow as well since most girls who're relatively thin eat little and poorly. I mean they are quasi-starving which is why they'll be thin and soft. But meh... if they look good I'm little to mess with success.

I'm not sure what you're really asking. Your breakfast looks fine.