Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: RFID ( Radio Frequency ID ) chips, George Orwell\'s Prophecy

[ QUOTE ]
are the concerns raised here representative of the wider US public?

the idea of an Australian Government doing any of that sort of stuff is just entirely out of any reasonable frame of reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think these are *likely* (in the near-term, at least) but the poster didn't ask for *likely* scenarios.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking abuse at the hands of those in control is the real worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're so worried, I'm sure you can throw out a half-dozen or so reasonable scenarios where our lives actually get worse, right? On your mark...get set...GO! As specific as possible please.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about a country that is known to have used wire taps and domestic spying as a personal black book (J. Edgar Hoover), that has now finally admitted to participating in the assasination of The Republic of Congo's first freely elected prime minister (Patrice Lumumba) among other violent overthrow attempts, and has indefinitely detained US citizens and non-citizens alike without charging them with a crime. These are just a few examples of how one specific government (The US isn't exactly alone in crimes like this) has consistently over-stepped it's given power, which has an odd tendency to increase over time.

What makes you think it's such a stretch to come up with a scenario where this very same government abuses a national identity chip? Domestic spying is in our history. Giving the government more ammunition is just asking for having your privacy invaded. This is all aside from the previous points my other posts touched on about the fundamental idea of forcing it upon a person. It just seems that people are so quick to dismiss such a flagrant overstepping of boundaries simply because they have trust in their big brother. Why is it not enough that it's just wrong to force somebody to 'connect'?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM

I already have no meaningful privacy, and no illusions that I do. I am already nonviable apart from society, so I have no choice but to conform to societal norms. Already the Neocons do whatever they want whenever they want.

How can this situation get any worse? Are the Neocons going to start destroying technological progress just to maximize human suffering? Are they going to start reeducation camps for everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus? Those sort of things hardly make sense...I mean, we're dealing with power-obsessed, amoral people here, but they're not exactly aligned with Lucifer.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 AM

You will make an exemplary Party Member.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I already have no meaningful privacy, and no illusions that I do. I am already nonviable apart from society, so I have no choice but to conform to societal norms. Already the Neocons do whatever they want whenever they want.

How can this situation get any worse? Are the Neocons going to start destroying technological progress just to maximize human suffering? Are they going to start reeducation camps for everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus? Those sort of things hardly make sense...I mean, we're dealing with power-obsessed, amoral people here, but they're not exactly aligned with Lucifer.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not the neocons Im worried about, if it doesnt strike you that he have basically had the same 2 families running the country for the last 25 years (and possibly 30 or more depending on hillary and jeb), there is something wrong.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How can this situation get any worse?

[/ QUOTE ]
By drastically expanding the number of and power of the tools the government can use to pry into and manipulate every aspect of your personal life.

BTW, I'd guess that probably 75% of the population violate the law close to every single day (maybe more). Won't it be great when there's a nice little computerized, auto-updated file on every single violation you've made over the last few years, that doesn't get accessed until the government wants something from you?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Won't it be great when there's a nice little computerized, auto-updated file on every single violation you've made over the last few years,...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, of course it won't be great. But I still want to understand why everyone thinks it will be so much less great than right now, because

[ QUOTE ]
...that doesn't get accessed until the government wants something from you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the government want from its citizenry except reasonable productivity, general docility, and profound apathy? Let's take a look at the modern American populace...um...check, check, and CHECK. Who exactly is going to be suddenly screwed once these additional government tools are mobilized?

Edit - take someone like Borodog. Definitely on the anti-establishment cutting edge, but LOL @ the idea that he would sacrifice his job or family just to avoid getting an RFID implant. Docile, fundamentally apathetic, SHEEP, all of us.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 AM

Awesome. Please post more!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who exactly is going to be suddenly screwed once these additional government tools are mobilized?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably no one, right away. What you should be afraid of is the power-mad, would-be dictator 15 years down the line who is determined to make life as difficult as humanly possible for his political opponents, when the government has truly vast amounts of data about every single citizen (or is able to get it on a whim).
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt that there are many people talented or gutsy enough to effect widespread identity theft when they know the government has their physical location 24/7. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many big name security measures have been broken quickly after released. DVD copy protection, the new iPhone, various public key encryption schemes.

Those are small fries compared to these rfid chips. Detailed information on every citizen of the most powerful nation in the world. I seriously doubt there's anyone in the world talented enough to devise an unbreakable security scheme. The motivation and stakes to crack it are just too great.