Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Protestants Opinion Of Mormons Makes My Point Clearest

[ QUOTE ]

I find it ironic that certain Americans do not have a problem with Mormons putting their life on the line to protect the President of the United States, but would have a problem voting for one to become President.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it ironic?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
certain Americans do not have a problem with Mormons putting their life on the line to protect the President of the United States, but would have a problem voting for one to become President.

[/ QUOTE ]absolutely

DUCY?????

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A successful track record and the ability to make clear decisions under great stress should be considered attributes and not liabilites.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But shouldn't God allow people to use their God-given intelligence to decide? Does he really want them to blindly accept? Should they blindly accept political or any other worldly authority? Is God really a Leninist?

[/ QUOTE ]

He does allow you. And we don't blindly accept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you do blindly accept. You are woefully incapable of judging Him, so any acceptance (or rejection) is blind.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought you said we don't have the right to judge, that we must accept since he is perfect and we can never understand his perfection.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're using the word judge equivocally. You have to make a judgment to accept or reject God's judgment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you are incapable of doing.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you do blindly accept. You are woefully incapable of judging Him, so any acceptance (or rejection) is blind.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean the way you blindly accept pronouncements of Truth from GodScience because you are woefully incapable of judging anyone with advanced degrees in (insert scientific discipline here)?

It always amuses me to hear someone say a Christian accepts "blindly" as if we never question, research or study, or we don't come to a freewill decision. I especially find it amusing from those who declare "facts" they don't understand themselves and then link to an article the way a Christian might link to a Scripture citation.

Fundies are fundies wherever they grow.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean the way you blindly accept pronouncements of Truth from GodScience because you are woefully incapable of judging anyone with advanced degrees in (insert scientific discipline here)?

It always amuses me to hear someone say a Christian accepts "blindly" as if we never question, research or study, or we don't come to a freewill decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you agree with Vhawk1? He's not saying you don't try to understand. Since you are incapable by lightyears your judgment is blind even in it's best attempt.

The difference with understanding scientists beyond our level of study is that a) you often could given time and b) it's a not one scientist, it's not a cadre in one discipline, the claim must be vetted past the hoards including those working on studies with a different objective and even in a different field.

Religious followers don't have that. The guy next to them is operating in the same darkness he is ( except those who claim to be prophets and then how do you verify that claim).

You're making a desperate and sad comparison.

luckyme
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It always amuses me to hear someone say a Christian accepts "blindly" as if we never question, research or study, or we don't come to a freewill decision. I especially find it amusing from those who declare "facts" they don't understand themselves and then link to an article the way a Christian might link to a Scripture citation.

Fundies are fundies wherever they grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

many of us find it amusing that you can't understand the difference between a community that rewards understanding of an old book and one that rewards evidence-based modifications of the current knowledge.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
certain Americans do not have a problem with Mormons putting their life on the line to protect the President of the United States, but would have a problem voting for one to become President.

[/ QUOTE ]absolutely

DUCY?????

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A successful track record and the ability to make clear decisions under great stress should be considered attributes and not liabilites.

[/ QUOTE ]you didnt get the point OF YOUR OWN STATEMENT

americans dont mind a mormon SECRET SERVICE MAN because the decisions he makes and the actions he takes are not negatively affected by the mormon faith. if anything the mormon faith would instill an even greater sense of sacrifice, servitude, dligence etc etc etc.

change from SS to WHITE HOUSE and americans correctly would GENERALLY an correctly distrust as PRESIDENT a mormon senator MORE than an astrology-consulting governor............
Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
many of us find it amusing that you can't understand the difference between a community that rewards understanding of an old book and one that rewards evidence-based modifications of the current knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

"many" of you? Was there a poll I didn't see?

I wonder what a "community that rewards understanding an old book" would be. The Royal Shakespeare Society?

In order to understand what it is to be a Christian, you have to be a Christian. Having worked in science for years, I have some idea how that works.

You presumed facts not in evidence, young fellow - not the hallmark of a scientist.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"many" of you? Was there a poll I didn't see?

I wonder what a "community that rewards understanding an old book" would be. The Royal Shakespeare Society?

In order to understand what it is to be a Christian, you have to be a Christian. Having worked in science for years, I have some idea how that works.

You presumed facts not in evidence, young fellow - not the hallmark of a scientist.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your claim is that both of these pursuits are honest searches for truth, and that there is no difference between a link to a peer-reviewed article and a passage from scripture?