Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Does anyone actually like their baseball manager?

who the hell is tito
Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Terry Francona.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, he's had the midas touch when he's gone against the numbers, especially in the '04 postseason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the way he manages a lot of late-game lefty/righty matchups. In a game earlier this year he let Wily Mo hit with the bases loaded vs Chris Ray with Drew and Hinske on the bench. Pena hit a grand slam, but I don't think letting him hit was the correct call. I just feel like he manages from the seat of his pants and trusts his instincts way too much.

In the 2004 playoffs, I hated the way he used his relievers in those back-to-back extra inning games. I don't remember the exact details, I'll look at the box scores later.

Also, he continued to stick with Damon and Bellhorn with the season on the line even though they were automatic outs for the first 5 games of the series.

It just seems to me that everything has gone well for this guy from day 1 despite some questionable decisions (NT! mentioned the use of the bullpen also, which I didn't get to). Everything he does just seems to work out right.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM

This is something I've always wondered about too. Seems like everyone hates their manager. How do Angels fans feel about Scioscia? He always seemed pretty solid to me.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Charlie Manuel
Myers is in the bullpen, meanwhile we're starting Lohse, Durbin, Kendrick (who has pitched remarkably well), Eaton and his 6 ERA, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I understand you'd rather Myers be in the rotation than the bullpen because it would allow him to pitch more innings, I have to disagree that Myers to the bullpen was a mistake.

Myers has been a very good starting pitcher in the league, but not a dominant one. Overall, he has put up good numbers, but there have been a couple of things that have held him back from being a true top-flight starter.

-Weight control/Fitness/Stamina
-Lack of focus the second and third times through a lineup

These are things that bullpen guys don't have to worry about. Myers is well on his way to being one of the top 2-3 closers in the NL, and could potentially be the best closer in the league. I think Myers' career could be much in the same way that Eric Gagne never realized his full potential as a starter, but became a dominator as a closer.

If Myers throws 200 innings as a starter, but only throws 140 at the top of his game (Fatigue, focus problems), and only 100 of those innings are actually close game situations...What's the problem then with having him throw 70 innings at an elite level, when those innings are almost guaranteed to be close and late situations?

On top of that, it shored up a major weakness for the Phils (Back-end of bullpen), and has made the 9th inning much more bearable. The time while Myers was hurt and Alfonseca was closing games was brutal. Imagine relying on Alfonseca to close out games in the playoffs.

Nevermind, don't imagine that, that could give you nightmares from now until October.

Anyway, this discussion may be better served in the Phillies thread, so if you'd like to continue it there, I'll surely continue to participate.

FWIW, Myers also appears to enjoy his role in the bullpen much more than as a starter. This is a guy who thrives on emotion. He was very willing to go to the bullpen, appears to be constantly cracking jokes whenever they show him on TV, and probably pounds back beers in the bullpen on days when Charlie gives him the day off. Myers as a closer >>>>> Myers as a starter
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM

I hope Charlie Manuel dies in a grease fire, so I guess the answer to the question is no
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope Charlie Manuel dies in a grease fire, so I guess the answer to the question is no

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was surprised to see people in this thread say they liked him. He's the worst manager in baseball.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tigers fans seem to like Leyland. A distinct minority doesn't because of his stubborness in sticking with, among others, Todd Jones and Jason Grilli (who has done an amazing thing in doing so poorly he's gotten me to stop worrying about Jones). He also does some weird strategic things, such as having Polanco (who bats about .340) bunt with runners on first and second and no one out. If Neifi's up, sure, bunt, but you're facing a potential huge inning with the heart of your order coming up and 2 on; don't concede an out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm firmly in the "love leyland as the clubhouse manager, hate him as the game manager" camp because of reasons including, but not limited to those listed above.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 AM

John McClaren is my new favorite manager
Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many championships does Beane have again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor argument; playoffs are not an accurate indicator of the best team during the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a GM's duty is to build a team that is competitive during the regular season only?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

oh wait your gonna argue. well still yes.