Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Chicago Bears 2007 Official Thread

Nice to see the Bears' offense in mid-season form.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:28 AM

The Brown and Dvoracek injuries look bad. Both might be out for the season. I hate that Mike Brown keeps getting injured, he just can't stay healthy.

They had alot of depth at safety and tackle, but without those two guys the depth goes away.

That fumble on the punt was horrible luck, what are the chances one of the best punters in the NFL kicks the ball 15 yards? The Benson and Peterson fumbles where really bad and killed two drives. The Grossman pick was a combination bad throw and Berrian quitting on it. The whole second half was the Bears shooting themselves in the foot on good drives.

On to the debacle that was that offensive play calling. Was Ron Turner trying to groove one for his brother?

Shockingly Grossman was the best part of the offense. Sure all day today the "experts" will wonder what's wrong with Grossman. But between the Chargers pressure, which he held up pretty well under, and the complete and total lack of a running game I think he played pretty well. He did miss a couple of open receivers in tough spots along the sideline.

The run play calls are predictable and they don't take advantage of Benson's running style. The Ruben Brown pull play to the right side is a good call for a cut-back runner like Thomas Jones, not for a straight ahead runner like Benson and why in the blue hell do you run it three straight times on 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1, did you miss it getting nothing?

Also Benson standing on the sidelines for most of third quarter seemed a bit confusing. I like Peterson, but isn't the whole idea to get Benson 20+ carries when he supposedly becomes more effective in the second half? I guess I can accept it as trying to keep Benson healthy and that Peterson was "always going to get a series or two."

The Turner play calling has been really bad in spots throughout the past two years. It was bad in the Superbowl and if it continues to be this bad the Bears are going to struggle offensively.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 AM

I think that's a pretty fair analysis Sluss. I also thought Grossman was the best part of the offense, which I guess wins backhanded compliment of the week.

Benson needs work on blitz pickup as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM

any of my bears comrades opposed to the idea of scooping up leftwich? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any of my bears comrades opposed to the idea of scooping up leftwich? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd be better than Griese.

I feel this game was a good thing. We held SD to the lowest score in almost a year, LDT was shut down for the 2nd least yards in his career, and Rexy played pretty good.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Benson has never been good at the non-running aspects of that position, right?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Brown and Dvoracek injuries look bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they were. Both gone for the season
Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM

well we should be used to not having Brown in the lineup, happens every year.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Benson has never been good at the non-running aspects of that position, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their were a few times last year I remember him making a big block picking up a blitzer that lead to long pass play. In general though, you are correct.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:10 PM

This weeks Bears WTF moment Brad Maynard is questionable with a groin injury. If he can't go they will turn to Robbie Gould or maybe rookie saftey Kevin Payne. Huh? Look I'm not saying it's pretty clear Maynard must be pretty good to go, but if this is the plan and he is really hurt it has to be the most idiotic move ever.

The Bears need to get the running game going this week. Either Ron Turner needs to find some more plays that take advantage of Benson's running style or rotate Benson and Peterson and allow Peterson to run a majority of the cut-back runs.

Great quote from the Ernie Accorsi book about Rex Grossman:
"The book on Grossman," Accorsi said, "is that if you put pressure on him in his own territory, he's going to give you the game. He shows a lot more talent on your side of the field than he does on his, kind of like the hitter who can kill you when the count is 3 and 1 but has no chance at 0 and 2. Let Grossman get into a comfort zone, though, and he can play."

The running game and good passes early gets him into this comfort zone.

The defense is going to give up some rushing yards this week, but the Chiefs won't be able to get into the endzone.

This weeks predicition: Bears 35 Chiefs 16