Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Restuarants Requesting People Turn Off Their Cell Phones.

[ QUOTE ]
The study he cites where cell phone use results in the most accidents is out of sync with most other studies, and only comes from a sample size of 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be sure, you can just put the cell phone down at any time when you're in the car. I get what you're saying.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree, but I don't see how this differs from someone talking loudly under any other circumstances. As previously noted people have a somewhat elevated tendency to shout on their phones, but that's not exactly an ironclad connection.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an ironclad connection. The feedback/audo passthrough from your own voice to the earpiece in a cell phone is next to none, so people think that because they can't hear themselves, no one can. They yell to compensate, exactly like an old man that can't hear speaks into a normal land line phone.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

I feel like cell phone etiquette is a pretty trendy issue for people to get their vaginas unnecessarily sandy about. I mean, aside from taking calls in church or a movie or class or whatever, or just braying obnoxiously in general, who gives a [censored]? You people talk like you see red when you spot somebody taking a call at Ruth's Chris. How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

I think there is a difference between someone using a cell, which I couldn't care less about, and someone from the next table over shouting into their phone like, uh, like somebody that is really loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree, but I don't see how this differs from someone talking loudly under any other circumstances. As previously noted people have a somewhat elevated tendency to shout on their phones, but that's not exactly an ironclad connection. Again, I feel like this is just a popular excuse for self-righteousness more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll by this. I've said this for a long time about the hate for cell phone use in cars causing accidents, when it is way, way down the list of distractors that cause accidents. I think it's number 6 behind playing with the radio, eating and drinking, passengers in the car, etc. The number one class of distractors that cause accidents are "Objects external to the vehicle."

The hate for cell phone use while driving is just stupidity fueld by busy-body anti-cell snobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this #6 business is true, that means we shouldn't try to stop it? Because it's not the #1 most dangerous thing on the road? Should we stop trying to cure cancer because it's #2 behind heart disease?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

I feel like cell phone etiquette is a pretty trendy issue for people to get their vaginas unnecessarily sandy about. I mean, aside from taking calls in church or a movie or class or whatever, or just braying obnoxiously in general, who gives a [censored]? You people talk like you see red when you spot somebody taking a call at Ruth's Chris. How can this offend you? I mean, what business is it of yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

I think there is a difference between someone using a cell, which I couldn't care less about, and someone from the next table over shouting into their phone like, uh, like somebody that is really loud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree, but I don't see how this differs from someone talking loudly under any other circumstances. As previously noted people have a somewhat elevated tendency to shout on their phones, but that's not exactly an ironclad connection. Again, I feel like this is just a popular excuse for self-righteousness more than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll by this. I've said this for a long time about the hate for cell phone use in cars causing accidents, when it is way, way down the list of distractors that cause accidents. I think it's number 6 behind playing with the radio, eating and drinking, passengers in the car, etc. The number one class of distractors that cause accidents are "Objects external to the vehicle."

The hate for cell phone use while driving is just stupidity fueld by busy-body anti-cell snobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this #6 business is true, that means we shouldn't try to stop it? Because it's not the #1 most dangerous thing on the road? Should we stop trying to cure cancer because it's #2 behind heart disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a stupid analogy because people are trying to cure both cancer and heart disease, but people don't seem to give a [censored] about eating or talking while driving, yet get riled up about using a phone. They just don't like phones and ignore the other, more dangerous, habits.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Wrong. Cell phone use is targeted because (a) it's a relatively new phenomenon that people have lived without and (b) it's pretty easy to spot. While we got along fine without cell phones for, oh, let's say, 250 years, we wouldn't have done so well without eating. Good luck being the cop that has to pull someone over for eating an apple while driving.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:24 PM

Boro,

I'd put the floor on cell phone interruptions during movies at 10% for Nashville.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

I'd put the floor on cell phone interruptions during movies at 10% for Nashville.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy. Have never seen this.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this #6 business is true, that means we shouldn't try to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's not the #1 most dangerous thing on the road? Should we stop trying to cure cancer because it's #2 behind heart disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not ban car radios? Passengers? Food and beverages?

Hell, why not require 5 point safety harnesses, roll cages, and crash helmets?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cardo,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this #6 business is true, that means we shouldn't try to stop it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's not the #1 most dangerous thing on the road? Should we stop trying to cure cancer because it's #2 behind heart disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not ban car radios? Passengers? Food and beverages?

Hell, why not require f point safety harnesses, roll cages, and crash helmets?

[/ QUOTE ]

WARNING WILL ROBINSON

Approaching Politics Thread Levels
Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Cell phone use is targeted because (a) it's a relatively new phenomenon that people have lived without and (b) it's pretty easy to spot. While we got along fine without cell phones for, oh, let's say, 250 years, we wouldn't have done so well without eating. Good luck being the cop that has to pull someone over for eating an apple while driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Car radios are unnecessary. And you definitely can pull over to the side of the road for a snack.