Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I do not smoke weed
Agree 20 51.28%
Disagree 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Do you like the DH poll

Yea I actually seem to remember Teix being the best player in the draft at the time, but dropped because of Boras.

Is this incorrect?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the DL, but I also think it's pretty cool how one league has it and one league doesn't. I wouldn't change that.

[/ QUOTE ] i agree with this... it is a cool difference.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I actually seem to remember Teix being the best player in the draft at the time, but dropped because of Boras.

Is this incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's incorrect, but Prior's USC numbers were absolutely ludicrous.

And besides, Brazelton was an easy pick at the time.

But yes, gnsdlhndsilkhjiosajhnsndasljgadolhnsdflnhdslhnlsdk jhdsnhs is about right :[
Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC Teix was also an option for da Cubz

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Tex and Prior were considered the two best players on the board with Tex falling because of the Boras factor.

I seem to recall the Twins not making up their mind until the last minute to take Mauer. I was going to point to taking Mauer instead of Prior as one of the positives for Terry Ryan.

Mauer got $5.15MM to sign, paid over five years.

Prior got a 5 year, $10.5MM major league contract, included in that is a $4MM signing bonus.

Teixeira got a 4 year, $9.5MM major league contract, included is a $4.5MM signing bonus.

It's understandable that the college players got major league contracts and the high schooler got just a signing bonus.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a purist. I hate sacrafice bunting, but I also hate the DH. It makes the game SO DULL because it allows a team to cheat its way closer to a perfect state. The perfect state being the 9 best hitters hitting, the 9 best fielders fielding, and the 4 best runners doing all the baserunning. What seperates baseball from other sports is the lack of specialization, that's what makes the game exciting. Watching your team hit a ball through the legs of some fatass who shouldn't be on the field, or making fun of the pitcher while he tries to hit is an EXCITING part of the game. It's also exciting to see guys come off the bench and the team to run out of players in lonmg extra inning games. It's exciting to see the pitcher get a hit in a big spot. AL fans get none of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well said.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 AM

There's a ton of specialization in baseball and it's made the game better. You always want the best out there in any specific given situation; who cares if that's all they do? Horrible logic.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 AM

I think Edgar Martinez voted twice.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 AM

It should be either in both leagues or neither of the leagues.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"In 1968, the New York Yankees hit .214 as a team and finished over .500. Read that sentence again. Something had to be done. "
The league average in 1968 was .230

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the league average in the NL still .230? The DH is not what "fixed" this problem.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be either in both leagues or neither of the leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed although I despise the Dh. It would be hilarious if the eastern conference in the NBA had an 11 foot rim while the west used a 10 foot rim. This is basically the same thing.

Whoever asked if I would hate the DH if baseball had always been played with one:
I'm honestly not sure. But Ive seen the game played both way and prefer it without the DH.
If they never had one would you honestly have suggested it to make things better?
If we had the dh forever would babe ruth have ever picked up a bat?

Im a Yankees fan but I watch a lot of other baseball as well. If Im watching a game between 2 random teams that I odnt care about I would much rather watch an NL game. This is also true for the playoffs.

Im curious if those of you who like the DH would actually prefer to watch AL games?
Also, if you were given a choice b/w NL rules, or a game where you had 22 players in a lineup- 9 to hit 9 to play the field and 4 to run the bases which would you prefer?

I like that in the NL a pitcher has a chance to help himself. I like the fact the Zambrano can h it a homer and win a game 2-1. I like watching Glavine bunt guys over in spots where most pitchers [censored] up.He shoudld be rewarded for being able to do this. Hell I think its funny to watch someone like Al Leiter have to bat. I like that after drilling someone in the NL the pitcher has to face the music when he comes up.

Whoever said there is more strategy with the DH is on crack. AL managers rarely make offensive changes and dont have to worry about pulling the pitcher in the 6th inning of a tied game because hes up with the bases loaded and 2 outs. Sure its a no brainer to have the pitcher bunt with a man on first and no out int he 4th inning (although it drives me nuts when they make great hitting pitchers do this for no reason) but in the last few innngs of a game the real decsions are made in the NL.

As far as the Twins not being a well run franchise that is the dumbest thing in this thread. They have made the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years with no payroll and once you're in the playoffs its a crapshoot.
They along with the A's are the only 2 fan bases I feel bad for when people cry about the Yankees payroll.