Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: What is the greatest sporting event you have attended?

"Fast forward a year and I'm watching the Colts and Pats in the AFC championship game. When Samuel returned the INT to make it 21-3 it was deathly silent inside the dome."

It was silent from then until the Colts scored after half time. It was gut wrenching sitting there trying to think that they were going to lose to the Pats again.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was '02...as this depressed giants fan will tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah...my bad.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 PM

game 4 95 stanley cup finals to see devils finish it off

but game 4 of the 2001 world series was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, can't really describe what it was like to be there
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 PM

1993 NLCS game 6 at the Vet. The loudest place I think I've ever been. The stadium floor seemed to be actually rocking after Mitch Williams struck out Pecota.

A number of Flyers & Eagles playoff games and the '93 World Series games 4/5 are all memorable for different reasons, but they're all a distant second to the NLCS clinching game.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 PM

1991 Final Four Saturday.

I was a senior at Duke and in the first game, we got to watch Kansas beat UNC and Dean Smith get thrown out of the game. We were right next to the KU student section, so they taught us "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" and we taught them "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell!" Awesome.

Then, in the second game, watched my Blue Devils upset 34-0 UNLV, the "greatest team of all time." Completely surprised we were even in the game--they had beaten us 103-73 the previous year in the finals.

I'll never forget that day.

Edit: also, this was before everyone hated Duke.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:54 PM

9/6/95

Cal Ripken's record-breaking game versus the Angels. #2131. He hit a HR in that game and also one the night before.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Game 7 - 1982 World Series, Cards over Brewers.
Games 3, 4 and 5 - 2006 World Series, Cards over Detroit.
2004 NCAA Basketball Championship, UNC over Illinois

Other notables:
6 Kentucky Derbies
2 Breeders Cups
2004 NLDS Games 3 and 4, Cards lose, then clinch vs. Dodgers.
2006 Florida comes from behind vs Tennessee in a thriller en route to national title.
Several other March Madness games.
Pacers over Bulls, Jordans final year, Game 6 in Eastern Conf Finals.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: also, this was before everyone hated Duke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol Danny Fairy would beg to differ.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1991 AFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Houston Oilers

Saturday, January 04, 1992, 02:00 PM (Mountain Standard)

The Denver Broncos advanced to their fourth AFC Championship Game in six years after defeating Houston 26-24 before 75,301 in Mile High Stadium. David Treadwell’s 28-yard field goal with 20 seconds remaining capped a 12-play, 78-yard drive in which the Broncos converted two fourth-down plays.

Houston quarterback Warren Moon drove his team 70 yards in four plays — highlighted by a 49-yard strike to Haywood Jeffires, who would also haul in the touchdown pass from 15 yards — to put Houston up 7-0 with only 1:46 gone in the game. After a Denver punt, Moon again drove his team down the field and threw his second touchdown pass, this one for 9 yards to wide receiver Drew Hill.

The Broncos started their next possession on their 35 and covered 65 yards in 8 plays to score on a 10-yard pass from quarterback John Elway to wide receiver Vance Johnson, but a fumbled snap on the conversion attempt left the score 14-6. On the sixth play of the ensuing Oilers’ drive, Moon was intercepted by free safety Steve Atwater, but a roughing the passer call nullified the effort. Three plays later Houston scored on a 6-yard pass from Moon to wide receiver Curtis Duncan.

The next Oilers’ possession ended when Atwater intercepted a pass and gave Denver the ball on its own 12 with 6:03 left in the half. In a drive that saw Elway complete all 6 passes for 64 yards, and Steve Sewell complete one to Johnson for 10, the Broncos covered 88 yards in 12 plays to score on a 1-yard run by running back Greg Lewis, cutting the Houston lead to 21-13. After a missed Houston field goal attempt, the Broncos drove from their 20 to Houston’s 31 and David Treadwell nailed a 49-yard field goal, the longest in Denver postseason history. Now up by only five at 21-16, the Oilers reached the Broncos’ 7 on their next drive, but had to settle for a 25-yard field goal.

Denver started on its 20 and 9 plays later faced a fourth-and-four from the Houston 41. Elway threw a short pass to wide receiver Michael Young, who broke two tackles and was finally brought down on Houston’s 15, a gain of 26 yards. Three plays later Lewis bowled over from one for his second touchdown of the day, making the score 24-23 in favor of Houston. The Oilers’ next drive stalled and Greg Montgomery punted to the Denver two. With 2:07 and no time outs remaining, Elway hit Young for a 22-yard gain on first down, but three plays later the Broncos had a fourth-and-six on the 28. Elway dropped back, then scrambled left upfield and ran out of bounds a yard past the first-down marker. Three straight incompletions again left Denver with a do-or-die fourth-down situation. Elway again dropped back and scrambled left, but as he headed upfield he tossed a pass to Johnson, who ran to the Houston 21 for a 44-yard gain. running back Steve Sewell ran for 10 yards on first down, and two plays later Treadwell came on for the winning kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best game I've ever been to live. I was 10 and still remember parts of it vividly. And my memory sucks... I don't remember anything from my childhood.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:31 AM

OSU-Michigan Game 2006, 1 v. 2, in the student section. Awesome.