Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: How good/bad do I have it at my job?

[ QUOTE ]
It's behind only the auto and steel towns as a downward cycling economy

[/ QUOTE ]

Buffalo is a steel town.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Considering that you are putting 1k/mo away from poker, this doesn't sound bad AT ALL. Hours are great, commute is great. Benefits (aside from 401k, but w/e) are good. We all have D-bag bosses. The key question to me would be is there room for growth/advancement in this job, both in terms of salary and what someone upthread termed KSAs? If not, then you should think about leaving. I'm guessing that even if you had to work 10-15 more hrs/week at a job where there was such growth potential, you would probably like the 'job' part of that job better anyway.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:31 AM

hey meleader, do you know any estimators at your job? i just landed a full-time salary with a general contractor in LA, its about a half hour away from me, but its three main guys that are always doing superintendent duties at the jobs they got going on throughout the area. Theyre really cool and wont mind when i get a notebook to make takeoffs and estimates from home/ local starbucks. As for project managers, im looking to become one, i told the maing guys about it and they were impressed with what i could do with suretrak software. basically ill be calling owners/architects, suppliers, and making estimates. office is almost done being built, i start when its done. I said 36k, they hesitated cuz im 19, later said they definitely want me and would go over the details later, im assuming they may bring me down to 30k, with a moveup later when i prove my worth. they have me doing estimates on a few blueprints from home right now, so far weve been getting along really well and stuffs going good. hope im not jinxin myself by boasting about it here, but i really needed to vent about this and id rather do it here then with real friends. good luck with cad drawings, hope your situation gets better.