Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Live Updates of the Laak vs Computer Match HERE

My new theory is Ali only took part in this because he thought he would get to play heads up limit against Phil Laak at some point. Imagine his surprise to find out he would be playing 10/20 limit against a computer the whole time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the computer have the ability to adapt to the players playing style? Or will it always play out a hand exactly the same against both players if they both make the same moves for the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It adapts.

[ QUOTE ]

No, the particular problem has been at "adaptive" play by the computer and analyzing and calculating its opponents possible moves based on hundreds or thousands of previously played hands. Anyone with a large db on PT will know that it can bring an older machine to a crawling halt.

When the "bot's" AI is dynamic changed with each new hand played, the hardware is definately a limitation. Of course it is not prohibitive and if the UAB had millions of dollars to throw at the program it wouldn't even be an issue, but with moderate funding and 5 year old technology, yes, its a limitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea you are correct when you are talking about tackling the problem in that manner (using neural networks or massive databases of past play) i think most engines that currently exist aren't using those methods however. infact, i am pretty sure there is little benefit in having 100k hands on a player rather than 10k, you only gain a bit more information about the player at a huge computing expense. of course is you had ample computing power the question would be somewhat moot, but for the most part optimizing a decision making algorithm is the tricky part these days (based on what i know, which is admittedly limited). they are taking a lot more short cuts not unlike the ones suggested by previous posters.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the computer have the ability to adapt to the players playing style? Or will it always play out a hand exactly the same against both players if they both make the same moves for the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably adapting. The group has been some work on opponent modeling so you'd think they'd integrate it in.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
phil laak hand from 2k limit event

phil opens qq, gets 3bet. he calls.

flop AK6. he checks, guy bets.

phil : if i fold will you show me?'
guy : 'ya'

phil folds qq faceup
guy shows 55

whole table laughs at phil

[/ QUOTE ]

how isn't this standard

[/ QUOTE ]

it may have just been Axx i'm not sure. it wasnt off the charts awful but he should have def capped v the guy preflop. it was just hilarious how he proudly turned over two queens, then when the guy showed 55 he pulled up his hood and put his headphones much to everyones amusement
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

phil folds qq faceup
guy shows 55

[/ QUOTE ]

how isn't this standard

[/ QUOTE ]
It's LHE so he's getting eleventy bazillion to one from the pot with 3rd pair?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

phil folds qq faceup
guy shows 55

[/ QUOTE ]

how isn't this standard

[/ QUOTE ]

it may have just been Axx i'm not sure. it wasnt that awful but he should have def capped v the guy preflop. it was just hilarious how he proudly turned over two queens, then when the guy showed 55 he pulled up his hood and put his headphones much to everyones amusement

[/ QUOTE ]

for one not capping is horrendous. of course in tournaments there are a lot of reasons why you might deviate from standard play due to the fact that chipEV != cashEV, so on the face of things its hard to make fun of phil without any other contextual information.

in a cash game i think you see people cap and lead the flop more often than not.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Default !#$

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It definately is using adaptive play. You can read articles on the UAB website over the recent incorpartion of opponent modeling into the algorithm. Salami or whatver the @!$% is name is, even commented on the fact that he could feel the computer adjusting to his play during the first match.

FYI, the match a few years ago did not use any adaptive modeling.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It adapts.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC this bot has different "modes" where it plays with different styles, and it is the humans which pick which "version" of the program goes into each match, so its adaptation isn't 100% automated.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM

From the live updates:

[ QUOTE ]
03:36 pm Phil says he felt that he was getting punched down. He said he got knocked down to -$1500. But he clawed his way back to $465. So the human team won by $70 -- 7 small bets which means the first match is a draw!

[/ QUOTE ]

They either have the total or the result backwards, but I guess either way it's a draw.