Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: faith, religion, spirituality

I'm a weak athiest.

I'm not spiritual at all. I don't really understand spirituality in the least. Is it like The Force? I'd love to hear some explanation from the non-religious, spiritual types on this subject.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so you dont see yourselves as worshipping the fact that no one can prove there is a god? I mean trivializing religion as comparing it to Santa Claus seems that you are being pretty dogmatic in your belief that religion is crazy (which is kind of what I was getting at, in that I believe that atheists are worshiping the notion that religion is a crock of [censored]).

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by worship exactly? if you mean worship the way everyone else means it, then hell no, we are not "worshiping the fact that no one can prove there is a god" any more than we are worshiping the fact that the earth is round.
seriously, worshiping facts? do you really think that arguing for some propisition (e.g. the non existence of god) is worship? its no. worship is a ceremony/ritual devoted to a god.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

so you dont see yourselves as worshipping the fact that no one can prove there is a god? I mean trivializing religion as comparing it to Santa Claus seems that you are being pretty dogmatic in your belief that religion is crazy (which is kind of what I was getting at, in that I believe that atheists are worshiping the notion that religion is a crock of [censored]).

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by worship exactly? if you mean worship the way everyone else means it, then hell no, we are not "worshiping the fact that no one can prove there is a god" any more than we are worshiping the fact that the earth is round.
seriously, worshiping facts? do you really think that arguing for some propisition (e.g. the non existence of god) is worship? its no. worship is a ceremony/ritual devoted to a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I see religion as nothing more than an argument that there is a god, and atheism (the way you have have explained it) as an argument against the existence, and neither side can prove or disprove anything, so they are equally ludicrous in their attempt to have people put faith in these arguments. Basically, I see the negatives of religion and atheism, as being fairly similar.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I see religion as nothing more than an argument that there is a god, and atheism (the way you have have explained it) as an argument against the existence, and neither side can prove or disprove anything, so they are equally ludicrous in their attempt to have people put faith in these arguments. Basically, I see the negatives of religion and atheism, as being fairly similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

religion is not an argument that there is a god. atheism is not an argument against the existence of god.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean trivializing religion as comparing it to Santa Claus

[/ QUOTE ]

the supporting evidence for both is pretty similar
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no quite sure how one would worship the notion that god's existence is not provable. Day to day the issue doesn't even enter my head.

My comparison of religion with Santa is one-sided sure; but I don't see any reason to make a distinction between what I regard as imaginary entities. As I pointed out, having a one-sided point of view is not the same thing as being dogmatic. If someone presents an idea that is completely extraordinary and gives no evidence for it, dismissing the idea isn't unreasonable or dogmatic and requires no worship.

There's only one reason that Atheism is of any real interest to me. I's not just that the majority of people in the world believe in the most unbelievable things without any good reason; or that hey make decisions about their personal lives based on those beliefs. It's that they bring those views into politics and wider society, advocating laws predicated on the morality of Bronze-Age chicken farmers, interfering with education and the scientific process based on the 'infallible' word of illiterates who thought the world was flat, persecuting those who affront their religion or who simply do not share their specific beliefs, and justifying oppression, mutilation and the utmost barbarity as the will of God.

Cliff Notes; Atheism isn't interesting as an intellectual position on even a Philosophy 101 level. The human condition *is* interesting, and religion has a profound impact on that.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ The idea that disbelief in something unproven is as ludacris as believing something unproven. I cant remember who, but some physician, gave the example of someone saying a teapot orbits the earth. Its something that can not be disproven or proven but you can assume only the rational would come to the conclusion that it is false. Its the same as the existence of God.

As I have said people can be atheist without devoting themselves to it or worshiping their disbelief: Religion on the other hand demands it.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ The idea that disbelief in something unproven is as ludacris as believing something unproven.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, tupac then?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so you dont see yourselves as worshipping the fact that no one can prove there is a god?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a great deal of reverence towards the unknown and our universe in general. I guess you could call it worship, but that is not really the best word for it imo. I am totally indifferent towards there being no proof for a personal God.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean trivializing religion as comparing it to Santa Claus seems that you are being pretty dogmatic in your belief that religion is crazy (which is kind of what I was getting at, in that I believe that atheists are worshiping the notion that religion is a crock of [censored]).

[/ QUOTE ]
Belief in a personal God/Yahweh and belief in Santa Claus are very similar. Not trying to be insulting, but I am not sure what else to say if I am going to stay honest. (If you find the use of Santa insulting, and I can understand how you would, just substitute in something else like ESP(?))

I understand that some people use God as their "spirituality trigger" in the same way that I use the night sky. I have a soft spot for religion in that regard. But none of that makes either He nor S.Claus any more likely to exist.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ The idea that disbelief in something unproven is as ludacris as believing something unproven.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, tupac then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ludacris= ludicrous. It's more hip hop yo!