Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Khan Acted like [deleted] and I am glad he is gone

I played with him in the main event, and while talking to him during the breaks found him to be a very nice guy.

But as we got deeper (and we had moved to different tables) I saw him act as poorly as anyone I've ever seen live.

He would scream so the cameras came, then act as crazy as possible to get media attention.

Everyone at my table was disgusted by how he acted.

It was remarkably disrespectful to the eliminated players.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Khan Acted like a retard and I am glad he is gone

z,

"hes eccentric and such a raw uncontrollable (yet innocent) display of emotion"

"he held back with one guy who was getting noticably angry."

Hmmmmmmm.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Shane, sadly this attitude may hinder you from ever becoming a bonafide poker celebrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually fine, but I could name several dozen poker players who have made the leap to "bonafide poker celebrity" without ever getting out-of-line. In fact, I'd say relatively few players have made their name by acting like morons at the table and even fewer have done it without earning the unanimous enmity of the poker world.

I recognize the need for poker players to be "entertaining," especially if they are trying to brand themselves, but I'm pretty sure it's not essential to becoming famous that you act like a jerk or a goof. If Khan thinks that his best shot of gaining celebrity (which, btw, is pretty useless in-and-of-itself) is acting like a loudmouth clown, then he is just admitting he doesn't have anything substantive to offer the poker-viewing public but will happily milk the generic attention that behaving obnoxiously earns him.

As for the argument that "poker is a battle ground" blah blah blah. Total bullsh*t in my mind. Everyone recognizes this--that the game is ruthless and about taking something from your opponent, even if your opponent is your best friend--but real professionals realize that, because it's that way for ALL of us in the competition, it's much simpler and more pleasant to act cordially, regardless of the subtext of war.

Also, I can't believe Rekrul is defending this behavior when he rails constantly about how cocky and arrogant young poker players are.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM

I can almost stomach the over-reactions to your own big hands. You might be excited, nervous, relieved, etc. Fine.

But his actions during the big Hilm/Yang pot early on were ridiculous. You have two guys who are watching cards come out that could (and did) swing millions of dollars, and this guy is dancing around like an idiot. Yang and Hilm were quiet and focused on the board, and he's doing everything short of yell "look at me!"
Old 07-18-2007, 05:13 PM

you guys are such squares
Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are such squares

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that describes me well.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:15 PM

I dunno, I'm in the ignorant position to have never played live poker before so this may disqualify my opinion on the matter. But being 18 I guess I liken it to school; there's always one guy who acts like a tool and as a result hinders your progress- but hey at least its entertaining!

I find Jerry Langs behavior far more despicable. Here's a guy who thinks he has a direct connection with a celestial being that seeks to fill his pockets with material wealth whilst sending others to the rail.-- and he's not afraid to declare this by praying at the table and praising a "lord" in every interview. I fear Jerry Falwell has reared his ugly head in the guise of Jerry Lang. Lang should not be the ambassador of poker but "selling pencils from a cup"!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I'm in the ignorant position to have never played live poker before so this may disqualify my opinion on the matter. But being 18 I guess I liken it to school; there's always one guy who acts like a tool and as a result hinders your progress- but hey at least its entertaining!

I find Jerry Langs behavior far more despicable. Here's a guy who thinks he has a direct connection with a celestial being that seeks to fill his pockets with material wealth whilst sending others to the rail.-- and he's not afraid to declare this by praying at the table and praising a "lord" in every interview. I fear Jerry Falwell has reared his ugly head in the guise of Jerry Lang. Lang should not be the ambassador of poker but "selling pencils from a cup"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody should start a thread about this Jerry Lang fellow...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Khan Acted like [deleted] and I am glad he is gone

its not that he's 2p2 but rather that a lot of us actually know him and have met him. As he said in the booth during the broadcast, he's honestly like that when there are no camera around. He's just a crazy guy filled with tons of emotion playing for tons of money. At no point did he ever insult or say one derogatory word towards anyone he ever played against, and in the booth he talks about how he finds people who do that to be reprehensible. This is the reason he gets slack here, not because he's a young internet player, but because people know the person behind the media portrayal
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Khan will be more hated than Molina when the ESPN shows air