Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: From FoF--- LEGITIMATE REPLY E-Mail

Do we have anyone out there in the shadows with some Biblical scholarship in their background willing to look into this?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM

Just general.

My response to FoF. This is actually kinda fun.....

The link at 'Troubled with' is most interesting indeed.

1. "More than 15 million Americans already struggle with a gambling problem".
I can only assume you / they consider ALl who gamble "TROUBLED' as the 15 million figure is the estimated total number of Americans who gamble. The true estimate of 'troubled' gamblersis .04% (less than 1/2 of 1%) who are troubled. Based on those figures that equals 6000 people nationwide.

NOTE: There is a SIN against lying or bearing false witness!

2. It saddens me that you even consider the many churches and church groups as 'TROUBLED' as many of the 15 million are church members who frequent the myriad number of Church BINGOS and Raffles. Ah, so sad for them, do you REALLY think they consider themselves troubled?

3. Work Ethic - "Scripture is replete with exhortations toward industriousness and admonitions against slothfulness." So, working at a job that requires time, patience and skills is 'sloughful' even though it may provide for my family?

4. Greed - "In a recent national poll, two-thirds of respondents stated that the reason they gamble is to win money." Most interesting as I would also guess that 100% of those polled who go to work go to make money. Does that make them greedy? SEE NUMBER THREE ABOVE. They too must be sloughful.

That is enough for now, I doubt your plate (no, not the one passed around accepting donations from the poor) is full and you will have much to contemplate.

Looking forward to a response......

XXXXX XXXXXX
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NOTE: There is a SIN against lying or bearing false witness!

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM

Nice reply.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, these folks just may entertain me / us for a few days, lol.

obg
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, these folks just may entertain me / us for a few days, lol.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

True. We can't change their mind, but I don't mind throwing their words back in their faces.

Actually, I'm looking forward to whatever chain-yanking plan Legislurker is dreaming up. I'd like to let an opponent or two know we're here and we're not going anywhere.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

It may be fun, but since when did FoF care about facts? They preach to a choir who votes. Ive had long hard arguments with friends/family who categorically think gambling is wrong/bad/sinful. Some even had education, and it wasnt always religion that promulgated their prejudice. We should start working on a convince a Christian gambling is not evil set of talking points. Perhaps even useful if someone has to testify before Congress and can discredit an out and out lie from an FoF Gestappo rep. We can't just ground a response on reason, we need some solid scripture behind us. And I think its there if we look hard enough.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 PM

That info is somewhere here in these threads, I will look later, getting late now.

If you want to look, I believe is is in the threads concerning the IGREA hearing, someone posted the biblical references to actual gamling (lotteries) that was done for various reasons in the bible.

obg
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM

I mean take FoF's points and deconstruct them. Im familiar with the land division of the promise land. I guess Im saying it would make my day if we saw these guys embarassed on national TV for lying about the Bible/fallaciously restating things for political gain.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean take FoF's points and deconstruct them. Im familiar with the land division of the promise land. I guess Im saying it would make my day if we saw these guys embarassed on national TV for lying about the Bible/fallaciously restating things for political gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems that would move the argument onto their turf. I think we should keep it on ours...freedom, free will, and rights as Americans. With regard to their arguments, I guess we could simply say:

"If banning gambling were important to God, why doesn't the Bible say, 'thou shalt not gamble'? Seems God would have put something in there if He were concerned about this. Perhaps you oppose this because YOU PERSONALLY don't like it." Then, watch them stammer.