Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: does the pointlessness of your life bother you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In conclusion he asserts the only meaning in life comes through God.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the only meaning in life can come through self delusion. That makes sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem really sure of a position that can't be proved or even positively argued for. Come down from the clouds.

Read some St. Augustine or Kierkegaard or something.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:23 PM

a little, but then you get to live out a moment of beauty and it feeds your gratification to be alive

I think most here do not believe in organised religion, but the idea of a God or Alpha Being is an incredibly powerful one and one which is incredibly difficult to dismiss in all our skin, naked in our humility against the randomness of the universe, without being megamaniacal Napolean style.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 PM

"Read some St. Augustine or Kierkegaard or something. "

paraphrase?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM

I think if people could just read the word God and not think "Man in the sky" these conversations would be a lot deeper and more fruitful.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

paraphrase?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope its not this kind of laziness that's responsible for all the conclusions that life is pointless. Paraphrasing Kierkegaard would be absurd. It often took me five minutes to read a single page.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:48 PM

The point of my life is to be as happy as possible. Sometimes I get this satisfaction out of making a lot of money, sometimes I get it from helping others, sometimes I get it from companionship, sometimes I get it from pursuing hobbies. What do you even mean by "pointless?" Do you mean that there is no pre-determined point of our life? No clear way of defining success? No common goal which we all attempt to accomplish? No way to significantly impact the world in the future as an individual?

I don't sit and figure out what I should be doing with my life, or how I should be contributing more to sicety or something. Does this mean my life is pointless? Maybe we're just cogs in a machine or insects going through the motions, but who cares? Life is awesome and sitting around worrying about what the "point" to it is, well, pointless. Mortality is worth being depressed about, life certainly isn't.

James
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read some St. Augustine or Kierkegaard or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

paraphrase?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope its not this kind of laziness that's responsible for all the conclusions that life is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

JaBlue, c'mon man.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:16 PM

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone, just pointing out that the vast majority of the posters on this site who are so quick to say that God doesn't exist, life is meaningless, etc. have not read any great theologians. How can you possibly have a meaningful discussion without being acquainted with more than one point of view?

I bet you could find some summaries on Sparknotes or something, but believe me they just don't do the material justice.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM

People aren't going to read St. Augustine. People read Dan Brown and JK Rowling. Most people would eat a bug before they'd read one page of Kierkegaard or Ramana Maharshi or Plotinus or anything challenging and transcendant.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 PM

Does belief in God really factor in to the discussion of if life is/isn't meaningless? Whatever my religious views, I'd still have the same stance on life being pointless.. I don't think belief in God necessarily validates anything in our lives or gives it meaning.. God or no God, it still seems pointless.. or at least, if you believe in eternity and all that, 0-100 years on earth seems insignificant in the scheme of things.

For the record I do believe in a God/Higher power, but life still seems pointless (in a good way)