Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How old are you?
Under 21 8 3.40%
21-24 41 17.45%
25-27 28 11.91%
28-30 30 12.77%
31-35 15 6.38%
36+ 9 3.83%
Results please 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Vulnerable House Internet Poker Opponents

Also, I hope we can do this. Thanks for the preliminary advising. So, how many volunteers and how much money will we realistically need for this effort?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Well, more is always better, will always get you more. However, even 10 dedicated volunteers in a Cong. campaign can make a difference. Money is another thing. Generally, if they are in a more expensive media market it will be a more expensive campaign, also open seats are more expensive. If in a combination of ways we could get a minimum of 25K in a House seat, that would make a difference. We would also need money to run the operation.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Didn't read the whole thread, my apologize if this is a repeat. Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO) is not very popular here. She only won when her opponent ran out of funds. Be wary though, this district may be a lost cause for finding someone in our favor. This is a fairly conservative area. She represents Northern Colorado. Fort Collins, Loveland..etc.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, more is always better, will always get you more. However, even 10 dedicated volunteers in a Cong. campaign can make a difference. Money is another thing. Generally, if they are in a more expensive media market it will be a more expensive campaign, also open seats are more expensive. If in a combination of ways we could get a minimum of 25K in a House seat, that would make a difference. We would also need money to run the operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Now we know what we'll need if we decide to go down this road.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Curious as to why you think a 527 is a better way to go than a PAC for this type of effort.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 PM

527 can get unlimited donations, (soft money). A PAC is limited to 5K per person per year,, (and then they can't be fed maxed), and you have hard/soft splits. Also, your donor list public with a PAC and although the law was changed a bit, donors are still pretty much shielded with 527's. Considering some politicians would potentially have political problems taking money from some of our donors, it is just another reason that 527 is much better. Also, the pros could dump huge contributions to us this way, no max. In fact, all the powerful groups are more 527's than anything else. We might eventually form a PAC and get bundling reg. also, that is typical development. That way we can get people hard money and run direct advocacy ads, but scale should be first priority.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Melissa Bean (D-IL) 50.9%
Mark Kirk (R-IL) 53.4%

[/ QUOTE ]

With Bean's district, we're kind of screwed either way because her opponent David McSweeny would be even more against us(this is a guy who is both socially and financially conservative, not a good combo for us).

I live in Kirk's district, and it will be hard to unseat him. It was very close this year, but this district is traditionally republican even though lately it has been leaning more democrat. I don't know how much a letter campaign would do for us because this district doesn't include evanston (which is where northwestern is located at). THe vast majority that live in this district are 35+ and have a family, or are elderly living in very nice retirement homes/communities. I've sent Kirk a couple of letters and have gotten stock answers from them (I voted against kirk regardless because I have other issues with his voting record)
Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Note: I don't want a letter campaign. We just don't have good votes, i.e. know who is really against us and how much. What I want is someone in districts where we don't know where the incumbent stands to write in asking, (not even sounding pro-interent poker, prob better to sound neutral), so we get a letter back stating their intentions and can mark them off. Later in the campaign season we can send out a detailed questionnaire with all the shades of grey to fully sound out people, but we need the basics to get a basic target list. Maybe Engineer could work on a sample letter, neutral, asking about a range of internet poker issues? We probably won't get many that will answer in detail, but anything is better than nothing. Then we can create a sign up list, 1 per district. Sound alright?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..... we can create a sign up list, 1 per district. Sound alright?

[/ QUOTE ]

We'd better find out how many people we have.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:25 PM

They only need to send one letter at this point. But I'm find with the poll.