Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Players forced to play $2k NL WSOP event in 100 degree tent

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care so much about the negative comments aimed at me, provided that they don't become the main focus of the thread.

Anyway, I bought in for the $1500 NL event today, with the full intention to get a refund if they stuck me in the pavilion. While the guy behind me in line ended up there, I was placed at table 176 in the main room.

I noticed that they pretty much changed everything today regarding the pavilion situation.

All cash games were suspended until 3pm.

Additional tables were set up near Buzios.

They announced that there would be a concerted effort to get people out of the pavilion. Indeed, it was empty by the first break (I walked over and checked).

I'm glad to see that Jack Effel and friends finally decided to do things correctly, but these radical changes basically validate everything I said in the first place. They must have realized that they royally screwed up yesterday, so suddenly Effel's desire to "accomodate everyone" (referring to cash and 1-table satellite players) has apparently vanished.

Keep in mind that I also expressed my concerns yesterday to Nolan Dalla, who e-mailed Jeffrey Pollack and other higher-ups about it, basically agreeing with my stance.

Doesn't it suck when the players have to manage the managers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it sure does. I will say this, sad as it is, I think the guy having the heart attack in the pavillion and his threat (or promise) to sue about it, might of had a factor in here.

In other words, something like that, the suits (aka Lawyers) for Harrahs might of told them they were screwed in that one, and to brace for a big money lawsuit.

Scared something like that might be repeated, and that it will hit them in their pocketbook, might of helped to force them to spring into action as well.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Petition to move thread to NVG so I can ban the doorknobs hating on Dan Druff.

Captive markets sucks balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

curious dids...you think i deserve a ban?! interesting.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eskimo Clark was apparently playing in the sweltering tent when he collapsed, and I was told he had a heart attack. He is supposedly going to file a lawsuit against Harrah's for it. This is third-hand information, so I can't verify it's true, but it sounds plausible, and the lawsuit actually has merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I will say this, sad as it is, I think the guy having the heart attack in the pavillion and his threat (or promise) to sue about it, might of had a factor in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has it been confirmed that Eskimo Clark (or somebody else) actually had a heart attack in the tent?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I bought in for the $1500 NL event today, with the full intention to get a refund if they stuck me in the pavilion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you able to do that? I was told you can only get a refund with 24 hour notice or if you are still in an earlier tournament and can't play in two at the same time.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeez, they listened to the complaints of the players, admitted their mistake, and rectified the situation. Now instead of a pat on the back or a thank you, the tournament directors are still being given a hard time for the day before.

People make errors in judgment...Why can't we just applaud the directors who made the appropriate changes?

By the way, this kind of stuff isn't just limited to Harrah's. Didn't they play the 1997 Main Event final table outdoors in blistering, uncomfortable heat? Why do people act like Harrah's is the first and only entity to screw up the running of a poker tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having good signage would be an "error in judgement". Using poorly designed cards is an "error in judgement". When your customers are paying $5,000 to enter a tourney where the payoff is in the 6 and 7 figures and you stick some players in 100 plus degree heat so you can run some low/mid level cash games, that is dereliction of managerial duties and if it happened in California (a very litigious state) there would be attorneys already writing out lawsuits to force Harrah's to pay back the entry fee because they failed to perform their side of the implied contractual agreement that in return for the entry fee all players would be given equal opportunity under the rules of poker to play. Instead some players got to puke out their guts in desert like heat while others got the air conditioned environment expected.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:09 AM

The only time I walked through that tent was pre-100+ temps and it was surprisingly cold (day after the wind debacle I think.) Now that it's hot, I do hope they fix it.

103 is the lowest daytime high temp forecast for the next 10 days. 108 is the forecast for Saturday - when there will be a $1500 event starting...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was in the tent today also, and it was extremely hot. i did hear from one of the floor people that they are installing 2 additional air conditioning units and will be covering the walkway between the two buildings. that should help alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the extra expense of adding the walkway and air condition units negates any profit they reap from the cash games in the main room.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:32 PM

I actually like playing in adverse conditions. It distracts a lot of the weaker minded opponents. I'm not saying that poker is a sport at all, but to make a comparison: Football players often have to play in the freezing cold and baseball players often have to play in the hot sun. Just deal with it. Its +EV if it causes others to play bad, and we're there to make money, not relax.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like playing in adverse conditions. It distracts a lot of the weaker minded opponents. I'm not saying that poker is a sport at all, but to make a comparison: Football players often have to play in the freezing cold and baseball players often have to play in the hot sun. Just deal with it. Its +EV if it causes others to play bad, and we're there to make money, not relax.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone signs for the Green Bay Packers I think they can expect to play some blisteringly cold home games. I hardly think someone who shells out $5K for what's supposed to be the most elite tournament of the year should be expected to play in 105 degree temperatures outside.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like playing in adverse conditions. It distracts a lot of the weaker minded opponents. I'm not saying that poker is a sport at all, but to make a comparison: Football players often have to play in the freezing cold and baseball players often have to play in the hot sun. Just deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh huh. And how much intensive brain power are they using to make a tackle or swing a bat? I've also not heard of any 14 hour football or baseball games.