Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

ad;dr
Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM

A WOE is wrong. Women should play better. Use your sex as an advantage. That is what I trying to teach my daughters. Perhaps if Annie is successful in her class, women will play better.

If there was a gay series of poker, that would be wrong, too. Not for them being gay, but for them excluding competition.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:48 PM

At times, I find Annie Duke to be a know it all and over bearing, yet I think her logic is sound on the opinions she has expressed and she certainly has the right to express them. I don't think she is attempting to speak for all women; rather she is trying to compel women to see the validity of her argument. This is her right and regardless of whether I like her or agree with her, I vigorously defend her right to do so.

I have to question the OPs ability to listen and comprehend when she couldn't even discern that Duke was being sarcastic when Duke said Doyle needed the senior’s only event to be successful in the modern poker world.

It just shows how little people pay attention and tend to hear what they want to hear.

As far as the women’s only event being degrading, I think that is a bit of an over the top description. It can be a gateway for woman to develop the confidence to play in other events, so I'm not convinced it needs to be removed nor do I really care. However, I don't think it’s as prestigious to win this event since the field is effectively cut in half.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Nothng new here or any controversy Annie has thought for the past few years she is to good for the ladies event. If she were to enter and lose she would be embarrased. She doesnt think that there is a woman alive that is in her league.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I don't know if I'm supposed to read the entire thread.

OP is beyond retarded.

"(she also takes the time with this interview, to run Doyle Brunson down as well, saying in effect the only way he can win now is in the Seniors event)."

This is effectively the opposite of what she's saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped watching the video when this part came up, because I knew that the OP was a monkey and that her point was imbecilic.

If you cannot see that Duke is being sarcastic about Brunson there, you aren't good at observation or understanding, uh...things.

At all.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The concept of a women's WSOP event is horrible.

The same login that begets this event should lead to other fun stuff, like an all Vietnamese event.

I'm not bothering to read anything (and this isn't really the right forum for this, but I won't move it) but I'm pretty sure I agree with Annie's basic premise. There's nothing about being a woman that makes poker harder, and having a seperate woman's event is stupid and insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with that, but i still play in them.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 PM

In her book, Annie Duke claims her first wsop event was a womens event. Not sure if she cashed or not, Hendon Mob has no record of it.

However, if we go only by what she says, then apparently starting in a womens event helped launch her into poker. I guess she now feels other females should be denied such an opportunity?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The concept of a women's WSOP event is horrible.

The same login that begets this event should lead to other fun stuff, like an all Vietnamese event.

I'm not bothering to read anything (and this isn't really the right forum for this, but I won't move it) but I'm pretty sure I agree with Annie's basic premise. There's nothing about being a woman that makes poker harder, and having a seperate woman's event is stupid and insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the seperate womens event isnt because women are at a handicap, but merely because poker is a HUGELY male dominated game, and a womens event will help bring more women into poker by building interest.

Also women tend to like to do things with other women, especially when they are doing an activity thats 95% men, I cant really explain it cuz im not a women, but its still a fact. A womans event gives them the opportunity for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand all this, still think it's dumb. There's just too much connotation that it's a retard invitational. I also question how effective it would be in bringing new women into poker.

Boris,

Let's work on this Vietnamese event. I FEEL IT WOULD BE A NGUYEN/NGUYEN SITUATION!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's just too much connotation that it's a retard invitational.

[/ QUOTE ]...by men who think women are retarded. If that were the case, women wouldn't play in it.

I like the event, and it's cool is has a lot of history. I think it'd be a shame if they took it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree
Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 PM

Annie Duke is a woman? Could have fooled me.