Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Focus on the Family [censored] Warning About the 6/8 IGREA Hearing

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my ideal scenario for the hypocrisy part would run like this, "Mr. President, do you feel the least bit uncomfortable signing legislation that stop the average American from playing a $10 poker tournament in his home, while you have a monthly ILLEGAL home poker game in Crawford or DC where lobbyists and industrialists lose thousands of dollars to you to curry favor?" That probably will never come to pass as the soft left media hates gambling as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get this. Does this make the average American say "jeez, online gambling should be legal!"?

It sounds to me that it is more likely to make them say "Our elected president is a law-breaking hipocrit, yada."

Am I missing something?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my ideal scenario for the hypocrisy part would run like this, "Mr. President, do you feel the least bit uncomfortable signing legislation that stop the average American from playing a $10 poker tournament in his home, while you have a monthly ILLEGAL home poker game in Crawford or DC where lobbyists and industrialists lose thousands of dollars to you to curry favor?" That probably will never come to pass as the soft left media hates gambling as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Home poker games are perfectly legal in most states, as long as no one takes a rake.

But I guess if you really want to go that route, you could start with Barack Obama.

linky

linky
Old 06-09-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get this. Does this make the average American say "jeez, online gambling should be legal!"?

It sounds to me that it is more likely to make them say "Our elected president is a law-breaking hipocrit, yada."

Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone were to go this route, a better way to make the point while still using the same example would be something like this:

"Mr. President (or whoever is found to have a regular poker game), you have fun playing your Saturday night poker game, right? Just you and some friends or colleagues enjoying a game of cards and wagering a few bucks. Well, that's what millions of Americans would like to do in the comfort of their own homes, even if they can't get the boys together for a live game. They just want to play an enjoyable game of poker over the internet."

Something like that. Same example, but with a positive spin.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Not accusing anyone of anything here, but I just wanted to say that there's something offensive about the idea that we need to ask permission of OUR public servants to ALLOW us (as adults) to engage in consensual behavior. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Last time I checked, this was a country of the people, by the people, for the people, not of our elected representatives who are to be treated as if they were aristocracy ruling some sort of nanny state.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Online gambling predators.

I wanna be an online gambling predator.

I'll predatorize you!

Pred pred pred!! Gamble gamble gamble!!! Arghhh!! AHOY!

Sure is annoying that groups like FoF can so easily work exclusively with scare tactics and disinformation, since they are always in opposition to something new, which would change the status quo - so they convince people that they'll be taken out of their 'comfort zone'. When you're a proponent of something, disinformation and scare tactics don't work since you're working on changing the status quo. It's amazing that anything progressive ever gets done in this country... oh wait.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they DO NOT BELIEVE IN SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When churches start messing with government it becomes time to start taxing their profits.

SEPARATE CHURCH AND STATE ? OR CHURCH RUNNING STATE ?

You decide :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obvious that you do not understand the intentions of the separation of Church and State. It's intent is to protect religion from the government; not the other way around.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone were to go this route, a better way to make the point while still using the same example would be something like this:

"Mr. President (or whoever is found to have a regular poker game), you have fun playing your Saturday night poker game, right? Just you and some friends or colleagues enjoying a game of cards and wagering a few bucks. Well, that's what millions of Americans would like to do in the comfort of their own homes, even if they can't get the boys together for a live game. They just want to play an enjoyable game of poker over the internet."

Something like that. Same example, but with a positive spin.

[/ QUOTE ]
100% agree
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 PM

One would think that Barney Frank will NEVER be at the top of the "Favored Legislators" list for this group... even before the online bills.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always read/hear Christians (not all of them, obviously) rail against gambling because it's a sin. So there's nothing in the Bible about it at all? This is all just made up?

I have never understood why people think betting money on a card game (or for some, even simply PLAYING a card game) is immoral. If there was something in the Bible about it, I could at least understand fundamentalists having an problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, they made it up. Fundamentalist Christians have a long history of basing morality not on the Bible, but on their ideas of what seems right and wrong. For example, some Baptists believe drinking one beer is sinful, yet Jesus himself made wine (a big miracle of His). And, He didn't make it for a sacrament. Rather, He made it for a PARTY!!! <font color="blue"> QFT, but it does say "not to be drunk", some people can't stop at just a few drinks, hence the bad reputation of alcohol. I myself like a glass of wine from time to time, but I have full control over myself in this issue and it isn't a problem for me. Some try to impose limitations for the whole of society because of their need for everyone to abide by the same "rules" as they do, this isn't correct. Everyone has their own stuggles with temptation. A full reading of the writings of Paul will clarify this issue for anyone interesting in taking the time to read it, but it is much too indepth to explore on this thread. </font> Seems inconsistent with the beliefs of people who claim to be his followers. As for gambling, there isn't a word about it. <font color="blue"> QFT, I looked </font> Here's an interesting article that provides about as much justification as is possible from the Bible: http://www.prca.org/pamphlets/pamphlet_93.htm#whySin . It's rather convoluted in terms of logic, but it essentially claims that the issue is that gambling is greed-driven. Supposedly, the "greed" is in wanting something for nothing.

One objection I have to this is that I think it contradicts the Biblical story "Parable of the Talents", where making money not from sweat and labor, but from interest and profit, is praised. See Matthew 25:14-30 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Talents . Other verses in the Bible instruct us to use our gifts to the maximum. <font color="blue"> You're so off on your interpretation of this parable that I can't even agree with you. Interest was the minimum that God requires from us, which the metaphor translates as sitting on our hands and not telling anyone about Christ and keeping God's love bottled up inside. This parable has plenty of meaning in the physical, but it should be read for the spiritual. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Christian and my church supports and is based on a lot of the same beliefs of FOF, I don't agree with them on this issue because it is trying to put limitations on the whole of society because some can't handle their gambling. I think what Dr Dobson does is awesome, and he is right in thinking that as the family deteriorates, so does the morality of the society. But morality doesn't create disciples of Christ, Christ wants a relationship with us, and that relationship creates morality and cures us of our addictions and gives us true life.

Playing poker allows me to win some "monies" and have the occassional opportunity to minister to someone about Christ. I'm not a you have to quit sinning now before you can be saved Christian, I'm one who encourages you to get saved then let Christ pull out what he needs to pull out from you Christian. I don't judge, nor will I. Christ takes us as we are then makes us better.

I guess what I want to say is, Dr Dobson has done more for our country than many of you will ever think about doing, and just because he has stepped on our toes with this one issue doesn't make him a villain. His beliefs are Biblical and his intentions are good, so we don't need to attack him, we just need to defend what is important to us, while keeping things in their proper perspective.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess what I want to say is, Dr Dobson has done more for our country than many of you will ever think about doing, and just because he has stepped on our toes with this one issue doesn't make him a villain. His beliefs are Biblical and his intentions are good, so we don't need to attack him, we just need to defend what is important to us, while keeping things in their proper perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but this paragraph is nonsense. His involvement in politicking with regard to online gambling should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone who's paid any attention to his active involvement in the political process, and I'm sure he's just getting started. Before you know it, we won't be able to dance in public or wear cotton/rayon blends, or get divorced, injunctions against which are also in the Bible.