Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: What\'s your opinion on Michael Moore?

[ QUOTE ]

isn't the role of government to provide us with our essential needs? to do for us what we can't do for ourselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

-Al
Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What "real experts" hae awarded michael moore anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

all of them

Michael Moore's won almost every award you could possibly win for a documentary film...and some where documentaries aren't even eligible.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

isn't the role of government to provide us with our essential needs? to do for us what we can't do for ourselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

i seem to remember that from poly sci

the primary role of government is to provide us with big stuff (roads, national defense, police, education, etc) that an individual couldn't do on their own. i'd say hospitals fit that description
Old 06-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Pryor - haha my "Really?" was much more to underscore the point that you will have people of different political viewpoints disagree with you on that.

FWIW - and you and Joker as film people are hitting this point, Moore is very good at what he does wrt filmmaking. And if you want to be educated there are better sources, but it's a fine line he treads based on the explosive subject matter he tackles... I think he has a responsibility to be smarter when forming his arguments.

-Al
Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pryor - haha my "Really?" was much more to underscore the point that you will have people of different political viewpoints disagree with you on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i was looking for a quote i seem to remember about fundamental human rights, but that took me to John Locke, which got me on a Lost tangent, so i'm gonna stop before i waste my entire day on it...

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW - and you and Joker as film people are hitting this point, Moore is very good at what he does wrt filmmaking. And if you want to be educated there are better sources, but it's a fine line he treads based on the explosive subject matter he tackles... I think he has a responsibility to be smarter when forming his arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. although i generally see him as a guy who presents questions without answers, almost in a devil's advocate sort of way, and in that light, i'm willing to give him more leeway than most.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:42 PM

To be honest, Moore is looking more and more right about Iraq as the years, and bodies pill up. Pretty much all on the left who opposed the war look good right now.

I think if you watch F9/11 and Why We Fight, a pretty depressing picture is painted of the Bush Administration.

While Moore is certainly heavily biased, his views always seemed to be based in something that is proven, or logically correct. At times he just goes about it poorly. I saw him on Bill Maher's show recently and Moore came off sounding really well.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:01 PM

Al,

"I think he has a responsibility to be smarter when forming his arguments."

I agree w/ much of what you wrote about Moore and his films. However, I don't really agree with this part.

Is it really his responsibility to deal with the fact that some people don't view his work with any sort of critical eye?

I guess to me it just seems so obvious that what he's doing is not journalism, so I don't see why so many people seem to hold him up to journalistic standards when it comes to spin, bias, etc.

He's making movies. They happen to be of the documentary genre. People don't think The Real World is "reality" anymore, so why should they think Michael Moore's films are?

Put another way, if he made his same films with actors, and then claimed the movie was "Based on true events" would anyone have a problem with them?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our people should be able to get healthcare at home, not have to travel to other couintries.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a Canadian who knows people who travel to the states, rather than wait forever to get surgery in Canada I find this very ironic.

[ QUOTE ]

part of what he does, stunt-wise, is obviously just meant to be funny (driving an ice cream truck around Washington and reading the Patriot Act), but some of it is pretty effective, i think (asking Congressmen if they would sign their kids up for Iraq)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the congressmen thing was pretty dumb. I don't feel like looking the exact numbers right now, but a small percentage of congressmen have children eligible for service. This would be a much more valid complaint if there was a draft nobody is forcing people to join the military.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

part of what he does, stunt-wise, is obviously just meant to be funny (driving an ice cream truck around Washington and reading the Patriot Act), but some of it is pretty effective, i think (asking Congressmen if they would sign their kids up for Iraq)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the congressmen thing was pretty dumb. I don't feel like looking the exact numbers right now, but a small percentage of congressmen have children eligible for service. This would be a much more valid complaint if there was a draft nobody is forcing people to join the military.

[/ QUOTE ]

you completely missed the whole point of that segment.

it's irrelevent whether or not they have kids in the military or kids the right age for the military or if there's a draft or not.

it was pretty obvious from their reactions that they would never consider making the sacrifice they were asking the American people to make. And that was a pretty damning point. do you think they would have reacted the same way at the outset of WW2? of course not.

the point being, Congress wasn't really behind the Iraq War, but they were voting for it. that's not good.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Someone actually went to the trouble to document all the errors in Fahrenheit 9/11, Moore responded, and the guy replied again. Moore comes off not looking too good, yet there are millions (including many in the media) who believe Moore's version of events is true. Why didn't the errors get publicity? Why does anyone believe the movie anymore? Because people believe what they want to believe, and Moore spoonfeeds them that.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fift...enheit-911.htm