Default Re: d10 drives home from work, a trip report

[ QUOTE ]
d10, this OP brings a tear to my eye...

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i try.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, MS paint was decent at best. Don't use blue on black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the blue was nice and bright before mspaint jpeged it turned it ugly but I was too lazy to fix it.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said before, I was NOT tailgating, I gave the guy a very reasonable amount of space. Tailgating is not even my style, cutting people off, yes, because why wait to get in front of someone when I have enough room right now? But tailgating has never got me anywhere quicker, and I'm more comfortable if I have maneuvering space. You can call me wrong for everything else I did, but he was the first to overreact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half a car length is not a reasonable amount of space. The sheer fact that the guy brake-checked you says you were tailgating, as I have never seen anyone do that w/out someone up their ass. Anyway, I was more talking about the whipping around in the turn lane thing.

That said, the pickup guy shouldn't have brake-checked and definitely shouldn't have followed you home. OK, revise my comment to say that you and the other guy should both have driven off a bridge.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't brake check, because that's dumb, but I will slow down a lot until they back off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand what this accomplishes? More than likely, it's just going to anger the dude behind you and make him do something dumb. Why not just continue at speed until you can move over?
Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won't brake check, because that's dumb, but I will slow down a lot until they back off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I don't understand what this accomplishes? More than likely, it's just going to anger the dude behind you and make him do something dumb. Why not just continue at speed until you can move over?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. I don't understand people who escalate things on the road. I don't make eye contact with people, I don't tailgate people, I don't cut people off, line jump, or do anything that should get my ass kicked. I see bad driving all the time and WANT to take matters into my own hands, but common sense and self-preservation instinct kick in and I just deal with it.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever do this...

I'm driving in a construction zone (1/2 mile long, 2 lanes each way, 50 mph posted, fines double) doing 55 in the left lane. Perfectly acceptable.

This bitch behind me feels the need to ride a quarter car length off my ass. That's unacceptable. Because of this, I'm not getting over.

Open road ahead, she makes an effort to pass me in the right lane, I speed up, make the same lane change as her simultaneously. We drive in the right lane for an 1/8th mile, then she tries to pass me on the left lane, boom, I pull out and slide right back into the left maintaining my lead.

I love doing this [censored] to Neanderthal [censored] who think they own the road.

I briefly thought about nonchalantly letting my empty Slim Fast can slide out the window....

[/ QUOTE ]

Please die.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Half a car length isn't tailgating... lol.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not escalting. I'm slowing down so that he has to slow down so that if we have to stop he'll be moving slow enough so as to not plow into me. This also helps send the message "you are driving too close". (mind you this is Seattle traffic, so it's not like I can move over and he'll be able to keep on flying or anything).
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. I don't understand people who escalate things on the road. I don't make eye contact with people, I don't tailgate people, I don't cut people off, line jump, or do anything that should get my ass kicked. I see bad driving all the time and WANT to take matters into my own hands, but common sense and self-preservation instinct kick in and I just deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suspect people who don't brake-check or cut people off ever just haven't driven places where that is sometimes necessary. i don't think it's possible to drive in Boston/NYC/DC and not cut people off - and while brake-checking is rarely necessary, sometimes tailgating morons need to realize that they're not going to get there any faster no matter what they do - so they can stop endangering my life.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said before, I was NOT tailgating, I gave the guy a very reasonable amount of space.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not doing this. You fail at driving. 1/2 a car length isn't close to safe.