Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Now It\'s River Time

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else disagree on the river? when he checked it made his hand mostly face up, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're dead on in your assessment, and I know that I'd be thinking exactly the same thing during the hand. But I'm also a wuss in situations like this and would most likely check through despite this.

EDIT to add: Plus you did kinda play this hand a lot like a flopped flush draw, which would creep into the back of my mind & reinforce my wussitude.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else disagree on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do. This specific river card (a diamond that completes the flush draw) makes it more likely that he's doing either of these two things, in my opinion:

1)Check-calling an overpair
2)Check-folding ace-high

-McGee
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else disagree on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do. This specific river card (a diamond that completes the flush draw) makes it more likely that he's doing either of these two things, in my opinion:

1)Check-calling an overpair
2)Check-folding ace-high

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

more likely, yes. most likely? still up for debate in my mind.

i agree a non- [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] river would make a valuebet easier, but i find it hard to believe he pegs me on exactly a flush draw based upon the action.

something else to consider is the board paired on the river. for whatever reason(sometimes correct, sometimes incorrect) people usually call down with weaker hands on paired boards. the diamond could induce a defensive check in a couple more instances, but i still think Ahigh pays off most every time in that spot given the fact it got there combined with the pot size.

at least this is fairly typical in the games i've been playing, coupled with the table image i usually exude. i guess this could be specific to my opponents trying to adjust to how i play, but also the fact that nobody playing fulltilt 2/4 and up seem to know what a free showdown is anymore would help support it as well.

this was actually the street that i was most interested in, so i appreciate the input. you make good points about the diamond draw(as did Harv), but i don't find the typical opponent in this game doing less than bet/call with an overpair on that board about 99% of the time.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 AM

I don't know what games you are playing, and I don't know what table image you exude. And I haven't been playing poker much at all since October.

I think this is a very thin value bet, if it is one at all. He's played his hand like an overpair, and you've stuck around this whole time. Now the flush card hits on the river. I just can't see him thinking he can beat a whole hell of a lot by check/calling ace-high. And a lot of players (even, on occasion, by his own admission, the great Harv72b!), will check that dangerous river card in this situation with an overpair.

But it could be game/image specific. If it isn't, then I don't think I like it.

-McGee
Old 05-17-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it could be game/image specific. If it isn't, then I don't think I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i think alot of it has to do with how well(if at all) villain reads hands. initially i thought i liked it alot, but the more i think about it the less i do if villain is worth a crap. i'm not saying he is or isn't, just that the value(or lack thereof) is probably a function of his tendencies.