Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Reactions to AC

smaller in most areas
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
smaller in most areas

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not support AC and libertarianism to the extent that they have the same goals as you instead of fighting them? (I don't really see many ACers fighting libertarians here)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smaller in most areas

[/ QUOTE ]

So why not support AC and libertarianism to the extent that they have the same goals as you instead of fighting them? (I don't really see many ACers fighting libertarians here)

[/ QUOTE ]

because smaller != none, and arguing for none puts you so far onto the fringe that it hurts the chances of getting smaller.

I have never heard an ACer argue for compromise, just "coercion", "theft" and the usual rhetoric.

edit: Re libertarianism...I am probably closer to a libertarian than any other box you might throw me in, unfortuantely I also am practical, and a libertarian has no chance to win in my lifetime. Conservative is the fallback position, and were it not for some misguided spending like medicare prescription plans, GWB has done quite well.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smaller in most areas

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because smaller != none, and arguing for none puts you so far onto the fringe that it hurts the chances of getting smaller.

I have never heard an ACer argue for compromise, just "coercion", "theft" and the usual rhetoric.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? If ACers all want govt 100% smaller and Libertarians all want govt 80% smaller and you want govt 25% smaller why not join forces until your goal is met and then part ways at that point rather than assuming an oppositional position from them right now?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 PM

I think it was pretty clear even without the edit i made while you were replying.

Working with conservatives has a far better chance of a 25% reduction in my lifetime than working with libertarians which have 0 chance.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was pretty clear even without the edit i made while you were replying.

Working with conservatives has a far better chance of a 25% reduction in my lifetime than working with libertarians which have 0 chance.

[/ QUOTE ]
After what we've went through the last six years I don't see how someone could say that with a straight face.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say 'conservative' what do you mean? Are you talking about the republican party or something else?

I see in your edit you appear to be talking about the republican party. I used to belong to that party and sat as a state delegate. I was a member of that party in the 1980's and they have seemed to grow in size and spending quite a bit since that time. I really don't want to derail this thread but I would be interested in an OP from you about how the republican party is invested in reducing the size of government (in most area's did you say?) or working towards those ends.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
After what we've went through the last six years I don't see how someone could say that with a straight face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is fairly mind-blowing.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Conservative is the fallback position, and were it not for some misguided spending like medicare prescription plans, GWB has done quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see many ACers fighting libertarians here

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH??????????????????????????????????