Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: MONSTER variance (w/ graphs)

right victor, i'm convinced some people literally have NO IDEA THAT THEY HAVE LIVED THE CHARMED LIFE.

you don't know until they drop the hammer on you!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 PM

ggbman for president. best post of the year.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:54 AM

Schneids - if you've never been through a swing like this, you really can't comment on what causes it. There is no way you intimately know peoples games well enough to make sweeping generalizations. Results in poker just give us an idea as to who is better. They don't prove anything. Lifetime swing size isn't really an indicator of anything...if you have never had a swing worse than 320 bb while playing 3-4 handed..and this isn't meant offensively because I think you are a very good player...but it's not indicative of anything but the gods smiling on you.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Schneids - if you've never been through a swing like this, you really can't comment on what causes it. There is no way you intimately know peoples games well enough to make sweeping generalizations. Results in poker just give us an idea as to who is better. They don't prove anything. Lifetime swing size isn't really an indicator of anything...if you have never had a swing worse than 320 bb while playing 3-4 handed..and this isn't meant offensively because I think you are a very good player...but it's not indicative of anything but the gods smiling on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is like i said he will really never know this until/if it happens
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Hey Guys:

I dont play limit (3/6 sometimes when donking around), but I would be interested to see some pokerEV graphs. There is a thread in the software forum about it. BBV has a thread too.

Link: http://www.pokerevsoftware.com/program/beta.html

There is some talk about accuracy/inaccuracy of the program, so dont believe the #'s 100%, but if some of you guys could run it over 50k hands or w/e i would love to see it.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Guys:I would be interested to see some pokerEV graphs. There is a thread in the software forum about it. BBV has a thread too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote from program's author : "Limit players in particular will get less use out of these calcs."

This is of course, the high stakes limit forum...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:46 PM

a couple things:

a) a 1000bb downswing is not uncommon at all playing shorthanded with a winrate of 0.5BB/100. and that's a reasonable winrate for a good to very good but not exceptional player in the stars 200/400.

b) not having 350bb+ downswings is likely an indication that you've ben lucky in that aspect. it's also likely that you're have an extremely high expectation if you've played a million or so hands without a 350bb downer. i havent run the numbers in a while, but it's not that unlikely for someone with a 2.5BB/100 winrate to play a million hands without a 350bb downer.

c) people don't understand how much winrate affects potential downswing size and frequency. an 0.5BB/100 winner will have waaay more and waaaay bigger downswings than a 1.5BB/100 winnr. the best players in a game don't really have big downswings. good to very good players will have big downswings, particularly if they're playing at the highest level they can beat.

d) the thinking that everyone will have these huge downswings unless they're extremely lucky is dumb. the thinking that there's some magic number of BBs that's a correct bankroll size is stupid (as most people have realized by now - but that wasn't the case a few years ago). bankroll requirements and downswings depend really heavily on winrate.

in summary, guys like schneids don't have big downswings because they almost always play with a huge edge. guys like doughnutz will have huge downswings because they play with a much smaller edge. none of this should be surprising.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 PM

it's all one long session
Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 AM

lol at the jealousy in this thread.

the guy supplies a graph of a healthy winrate over a 600k sample size yet he's considered some donkey running hot.

nice read hock. inspiring really.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy supplies a graph of a healthy winrate over a 600k sample size yet he's considered some donkey running hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between "some donkey" and "he makes some mistakes". Think how "healthy" his winrate would be if he didn't often make [censored] plays like those posted in this thread. (And he does do that, and it is often.)

Me, I most admire his work ethic. I sure wish I had played 600k hands over that time.