Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Spiderman 3 the new Godfather 3? (no spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers

the breaking point for me was when the butler comes in and gives the REAL truth about Harry's father..then all of a sudden Harry gets this epiphany and then now Harry and Spidey are joining hands singing joy to the world. This was just utterly terrible screenwriting. You would have to think Raimi was like wow this is bad, but whatever the Execs want this and I'm going to be rich.

The film had good themes with forgiveness and sins of the past, but it really left a lot more to be desired.

[/ QUOTE ]

**** Continued Spoiler in white********

<font color="white"> I agree. Harry had feelings for MJ. No too hard to set up a truce to save MJ that might leave some tension at the end. </font>
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM

yeah the butler was very lazy writing

wtf had he been keeping quiet all this time?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

X-Men 2 &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; SM2

[/ QUOTE ]

COMPLETELY AGREE.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No. They have to make it much more physically exciting. I don't think I can recall being more disappointed in a movie's fight scenes, and I am an expert at being disappointed in fight scenes. Batman Begins stomped my expectations into the dirt.

Spidey has going for it physical exuberance of a kind Batman couldn't give even if he wanted to and had the best director in the world. What we had last time for Batman was a guy who thinks a fight scene should be edited in short cuts and obscured as much as possible and, even worse played for awe on top of that. At that rate, Dave Letterman could sub in as Batman's stuntman. This kind of foggy, evasive, momentum-destroying ordinariness couldn't possibly upstage anything Spidey, even the most glaringly fake CGI.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because you didn't like the style of the fight scenes the movies won't possibly be able to surpass the Spiderman series? The jerking shot cut effect was done intentionally to give the audience a feel of what it would be like to be fighting Batman. I think Spiderman was a good comic book movie but Batman was just a good movie. They weren't really trying for the same thing but I know if I had the option I'd much rather watch Batman Begins than any of the Spiderman movies. Dismissing Batman Begins because you didn't like the style of the fight scenes is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. I don't go to superhero movies for my deep thinking. I don't get it there, and I don't expect to either. And I'm fine with that. If Batman Begins is supposed to be deep or something, then I guess we have different standards. Even if it were deep or "a real movie," that doesn't excuse that as a movie substantially built around action, the action is so unusually disappointing.

I'm well aware of what the director was trying to do. It's silly to think I wouldn't be. Obviously, I just disagree that it was a good choice. The murky look and MTV cutting style spoke of lack of ability and vision, and perhaps even confidence, to me. I'd just as soon see Fred Astaire dance in a fogged up box and see only flashes of his elbows as I would see Batman fight that way. There's just nothing to it. Superheroes are not superheroes of accounting or cake decorating or something; they're superheroes of the physical. I want to be in awe of their fight scenes, at the very LEAST. When the fight scenes are so muddled that anyone could have done them, there's a lot less than awe going on. And that's a big disappointment.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Venom had about as much depth as Jar Jar Binks.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
doctor octopus is a top scientist but his dialogue sounds like that of a stupid person trying to sound smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty standard for "geniuses" in fiction, cause the writers aren't as smart as the people they're trying to write. It's nothing compared to Reed Richards any time he's depicted... anywhere. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM

This thread took a turn for the serious.
Can we just agree that as (movie) trilogies go, Peter Jackson's Return of the King was superb? (Although maybe it shouldn't count since they were filmed at the same time).
Old 05-07-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Comparing the Spiderman trilogy to the Godfather is [censored] stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Spider-Man is way better. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think the Batman series that Batman Begins started will surpass these movies in terms of quality?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Batman Begins, while much better than the earlier Batman movies, wasn't as good as the first 2 Spider-Man movies, and WB has a terrible track record of screwing up their DC franchises.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

i thought the action scenes more than made up for the bad lines and acting.