FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Firefly

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who reads this thread netflix Firefly and give it a try. You'll love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this, but I don't get the idea of starting something and getting into it only knowing it's gonna be pulled from under your nose with no resolution at all.

Basically, why would I want to watch half a season of even a great show if it's only HALF a season?

[/ QUOTE ]

why do anything enjoyable? it's always going to end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this post and the other post like this suck. He has a point. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually, he doesn't. It's not like it ends in a cliff hanger or something gay like Farscape did (even thought that was 4 seasons).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm asking. I know that if I were to watch The Wire or Deadwood and then have it end in the middle of the first season I'd be pissed and felt like I'd wasted my time.

This show doesn't have any cliff hangers, and doesn't leave you feeling like you invested emotionally in it for no reason?

Firefly seems like it would be a plot driven TV show and I can't think of a single other plot driven show I would want to watch half of the first season and stop.

As for the guy that asked about pulp fiction, obviously pulp fiction is a complete work of art with closure and totally unrelated.

Basically I'm asking if each episode can stand on it's own.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This show doesn't have any cliff hangers, and doesn't leave you feeling like you invested emotionally in it for no reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for the movie it might have been like this, and it would have sucked. The movie pretty much prevented this from happening. There is nothing unsatisfying about having watched Firefly, other than the fact that there wasn't simply more.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 PM

I love how we have a thread on this and AD on the front page

Also...I LOVED the show but was meh on the movie...big complaint: tell us whats going on with the shepherd
Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who reads this thread netflix Firefly and give it a try. You'll love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this, but I don't get the idea of starting something and getting into it only knowing it's gonna be pulled from under your nose with no resolution at all.

Basically, why would I want to watch half a season of even a great show if it's only HALF a season?

[/ QUOTE ]

why do anything enjoyable? it's always going to end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this post and the other post like this suck. He has a point. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually, he doesn't. It's not like it ends in a cliff hanger or something gay like Farscape did (even thought that was 4 seasons).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm asking. I know that if I were to watch The Wire or Deadwood and then have it end in the middle of the first season I'd be pissed and felt like I'd wasted my time.

Firefly seems like it would be a plot driven TV show and I can't think of a single other plot driven show I would want to watch half of the first season and stop.

As for the guy that asked about pulp fiction, obviously pulp fiction is a complete work of art with closure and totally unrelated.

Basically I'm asking if each episode can stand on it's own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, people say "half of one season" because Fox only really aired half of the season. The entire first season exists on DVD and is worth watching. Each episode does in fact stand on its own. There are a few references to previous episodes and watching them in order really does help stuff make sense. But it isn't a show like say 24 where there is one plot line over the entire season. It is much more like Star Trek in that each episode is a complete story. The movie also helps tie up the entire series (I think it did as good a job as could be expected but it isn't by any stretch of the imagination perfect). It doesn't end on a cliffhanger and you won't be annoyed when it ends (well you will be but it will be at FOX for canceling yet another fantastic show).

Also, I don't want to hijack this thread but doesn't it seem like FOX for some reason gets a disproportionally(sp) large number of really kick ass shows and then ends up screwing them up and canceling them? What gives? Do they have some mega genius reading pilot scripts then a complete moron in charge of marketing?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 AM

River's Cockney Speech

Firefly Meets Moulin Rouge

and finally:

The Best Fan Vid Ever Assembled
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Best Fan Vid Ever Assembled

[/ QUOTE ]

watching this vid makes me want to fly over to the US so i can track down and inflict immense pain upon whoever was involved in getting this show cancelled. i almost vomited when i took a look at my local tv guide and saw the plethora of total garbage cramming the staions, half of which has been on for numerous seasons. its depressing more than anything.

i miss firefly [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM

just to let everyone know that the collectors edition DVD of Serenity comes out later this month
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just to let everyone know that the collectors edition DVD of Serenity comes out later this month

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume it's not going to have anything like new episodes :]

I agree that it's criminal that it was cancelled, but I guess if not many people watch it, not many people watch it... No matter how good the show. It's a shame I didn't spot it first time round/live in America, but it's hard to see what anyone can do about it now. There'll be other good TV shows, perhaps Josh whatshisname will make one.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's criminal that it was cancelled, but I guess if not many people watch it, not many people watch it... No matter how good the show. It's a shame I didn't spot it first time round/live in America, but it's hard to see what anyone can do about it now. There'll be other good TV shows, perhaps Josh whatshisname will make one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Joss Whedon's gonna make any more shows. After what happened to Firefly and Angel why would he even bother?
I sure hope he does, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if Joss Whedon's gonna make any more shows. After what happened to Firefly and Angel why would he even bother?
I sure hope he does, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was Angel compared to Firefly? I just finished watching Firefly and after kind-of-liking the first couple, I really really grew to like the show.

Rob