FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Democrats Demand Answers From Oil Companies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whoa whoa whoa.... I'm defending the poor...

[/ QUOTE ]

This old canard about defending the poor or the plight of X or Y or group Z is always suspect to me. In addition, the poor should defend themselves, those that supposedly do it for them, or wear the sanctimonious mask of doing so for political gains or moral bravado, usually cause more problems than solutions.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes your correct but you must assume the poor cannot afford internet access or computers. Hence, problably to their dismay they are stuck with me defending them to the 2+2 commmunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 32, I've worked for minimum wage or less for about half of my adult life and I've always had a computer and internet access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg with the bad links you put up in your last post I'd say your using free internet at the Moobie Cow terminal.

While you state making minimum wage and can afford a computer and internet (yes I know about net zero) can you provide me some background info.

Who pays rent You/Parents
Who pays food You/Parents
Who pays utilites You/Parents
Who pays vehicle You/Parents
Who pays insurance You/Parents

I am not attacking your statements but I refuse to believe someone making minimum wage in the U.S. can afford those BASIC needs listed above. Unless they were working 65 hours overtime a week.

The normal minimum wage worker in the U.S. would problably say they despise bagging groceries for 8 hours of their life just to fill their gas tank so they can come back and bag more groceries the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Govman ...

1. Am pretty sure Alex is assuming that said minimum wage worker isn't living alone ... divide rent by number of bedrooms. Also works real well when calculating food, utilities, etc.

2. See previous posts and links re: government assistance for someone making 1K take home.

3. See previous post re: poverty line and number of US citizens under it ... hence nothing typical about the person you describe.

4. Quit digging hole.

NCAces
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly certain that for a person working minimum wage to receive government benefits like those, they have to have children or something, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you love backwards incentives?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this all just a question of supply and demand?

It seems to me there's more worldwide demand for a finite supply of oil. Thus prices go up.

This is all just more pointless showboating by politicians. A better idea would be to find ways to consume less oil, not waste time with these sham "investigations".

[/ QUOTE ]

It is all about supply and demand. The government through refining regulations is artificially suppressing the supply, creating prices higher than would exist in the free market. The "investigations" are to distract the dumb-masses from the fact that the government is the problem here.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not attacking your statements but I refuse to believe someone making minimum wage in the U.S. can afford those BASIC needs listed above. Unless they were working 65 hours overtime a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you earn minimum wage and refuse to work more than 65 hours a week, I don't want to hear any bitching about not having money for necessities.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you earn minimum wage and refuse to work more than 65 hours a week, I don't want to hear any bitching about not having money for necessities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work 30+ hrs a week at minimum wage and (granted I had a room-mate at the time) was fine. I took a 2nd job as a telemarketer from time to time, but it really wasn't much.

Oh, and I was getting more than just the "basic necessities" as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This old canard about defending the poor or the plight of X or Y or group Z is always suspect to me. In addition, the poor should defend themselves, those that supposedly do it for them, or wear the sanctimonious mask of doing so for political gains or moral bravado, usually cause more problems than solutions.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes your correct but you must assume the poor cannot afford internet access or computers. Hence, problably to their dismay they are stuck with me defending them to the 2+2 commmunity.

It is ALWAYS easier for someone with money to say "Go get a better job you lazy bum" Than to actually go get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "poor" may not play poker and have been attracted to this board, so go ahead and defend them, but dont despair over their internet access. Scan other chat rooms sometime..."every" minimum wage hamburger flipper, pizza delivery boy etc. have computers and internet access.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes your correct but you must assume the poor cannot afford internet access or computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is ALWAYS easier for someone with money to say "Go get a better job you lazy bum" Than to actually go get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-05-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's very, very easy to live off of $1000 a month though.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Riiiighht. Come back to earth Alex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm right here on Earth. Where are you? I've done it and I could do it again. It just requires not wasting money on things you don't need.

Rent $200
Bills $200
Food $200
Other $400

Mind you, you're going to have a hard time building up a retirement fund, but living off of it is easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me where you are misleading people here. Where can you get rent for 200 a month. Slums of the Bronx... Detroit. Anywhere in New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already linked one earlier in this thread last time you asked. Nice house, nice neighborhood. Check it out.

[ QUOTE ]
Scranton is one of the lowest locality areas in the government payscale. (Low cost of living) and if someone is renting you a place to stay for 200 bucks there is heroin involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Philly for $266?

http://www.rentals.com/Listing/Detai...ngid=103348058

Or maybe Pittsburgh for $244?

http://www.rentals.com/Listing/Detai...ngid=106347623

Houston for $220 (nice looking place too!)

http://www.rentals.com/Listing/Detai...ngid=105344704

Dallas for $220?

http://www.rentals.com/Listing/Detai...ngid=103317784

Denver for $215?

http://www.rentals.com/Listing/Detai...ngid=103317321

And this was all like 5 minutes of searching!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would seriously consider rechecking your links because they all state 800 to 1100 a month for rent. Now if you got paid in Kuwaiti Dinar then yes 200 Dinar would be around 900 bucks American.

Repost the links with real prices please.

[/ QUOTE ]

800+ for the whole house, not per room. I gave the per room prices, since that's what you'd actually be paying.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 32, I've worked for minimum wage or less for about half of my adult life and I've always had a computer and internet access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg with the bad links you put up in your last post I'd say your using free internet at the Moobie Cow terminal.

While you state making minimum wage and can afford a computer and internet (yes I know about net zero) can you provide me some background info.

Who pays rent You/Parents
Who pays food You/Parents
Who pays utilites You/Parents

[/ QUOTE ]

You.

[ QUOTE ]

Who pays vehicle You/Parents
Who pays insurance You/Parents

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm, what do these luxuries have to do with anything? Ever heard of a bus? Hell, last min wage job I walked 3 miles to get there and take the bus home (cause it was night shift and the busses didn't run that late).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which just shows there's no point in discussing this if you're going to refuse to believe no matter how much evidence you get telling you otherwise.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes your correct but you must assume the poor cannot afford internet access or computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You win that round ! Damn Library