Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Biggest problem you have with your govnernment?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I recommend you use the "Notify Moderator" button. That's why they put it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I responded the way I wanted to respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were mod I would fix your quotes, like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were mod youd be banned for life for that post, and it has nothing to do with "opinion", it has to do with the fact that you are on sick person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yer kidding, right? Of course, I think Boro is being a little ridiculous and probably letting his emotions color his judgment a little bit (and watching your wife cry will do that to people) but you think he should be banned for life for giving an opinion? Its not like he is condoning indiscriminate murder, he's identified an enemy and approves of the use of violent force to eliminate his enemy. I personally disagree with that about as strongly as you can, but its ludicrous to suggest he should be banned for it. I'd much rather attack his premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

A faceless bunch of drones doing their job should be shot because they didnt withhold enough or his wife is emotionally unstable? that is NOT an opinion. And to raise VT in the same context magnifies it. Not only should he be banned for life, he should seek professional help, quickly.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to go with taxes, all social safety net programs, and a forced inflationary monetary system.

Just FYI:

"Official" 2006 US govt deficit: $247.7B

Now including net present value of new social security obligations: $4.6Trillion

Total US debt plus obligations as of 2006: $54.6T or $170,000 per American.

We're [censored]. Idiotic promises and spending are driving this country into the ground. No matter what you think philosophically, WE CAN NOT AFFORD THIS BS! Every time I hear some pandering politician talk about universal healthcare it makes me want to freaking puke.

For those who are tempted to say:

"Well if we didn't spend so much money invading people we'd be able to afford to steal and give healthcare to everyone."

NO!!! Please notice the vast majority of the debt and obligations is SS and medicare/caid.

Our government has behaved like the petulant child with daddies credit card.

Before anybody tries to doubt the source of these numbers, they come from here.

A summary can be found here .

[/ QUOTE ]

hint: dont link to an article by someone who doesnt have the vaguest idea of how SS works

[/ QUOTE ]

The GAO??? Hey, I'm just as skeptical of government as the next man but I really think the comptroller general of the US understands how SS works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im talking about John Williams from the "shadow stats" rag, that was linked as a "summary". Hes been reading too much natedogg
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to go with taxes, all social safety net programs, and a forced inflationary monetary system.

Just FYI:

Now including net present value of new social security obligations: $4.6Trillion

We're [censored]. Idiotic promises and spending are driving this country into the ground. No matter what you think philosophically, WE CAN NOT AFFORD THIS BS! Every time I hear some pandering politician talk about universal healthcare it makes me want to freaking puke.

"Well if we didn't spend so much money invading people we'd be able to afford to steal and give healthcare to everyone."

NO!!! Please notice the vast majority of the debt and obligations is SS and medicare/caid.

[/ QUOTE ]

hint: dont link to an article by someone who doesnt have the vaguest idea of how SS works

[/ QUOTE ]

The GAO??? Hey, I'm just as skeptical of government as the next man but I really think the comptroller general of the US understands how SS works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im talking about John Williams from the "shadow stats" rag, that was linked as a "summary". Hes been reading too much natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but basically everyone he said is also said by the GAO. We are up [censored]-creek.

Edit: Are you disagreeing with the content or just a possibly poor source?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just FYI:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but basically everyone he said is also said by the GAO. We are up [censored]-creek.

Edit: Are you disagreeing with the content or just a possibly poor source?

[/ QUOTE ]

The content regarding SS in the "summary" is wrong, period. Consolidating SS and Medicare future liabilities in current deficits is bad accounting, period. GAAP accouting is not approrpiate for Government entities, period.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:17 PM

This was all also in the Wall Street Journal recently (Subscription needed).

One of the scarier things mentioned here is the fact that S&P are predicting that by 2012 US treasuries will lose their AAA rating. Can't say I'm totally surprised.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I recommend you use the "Notify Moderator" button. That's why they put it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were mod youd be banned for life for that post, and it has nothing to do with "opinion", it has to do with the fact that you are on sick person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yer kidding, right? Of course, I think Boro is being a little ridiculous and probably letting his emotions color his judgment a little bit (and watching your wife cry will do that to people) but you think he should be banned for life for giving an opinion? Its not like he is condoning indiscriminate murder, he's identified an enemy and approves of the use of violent force to eliminate his enemy. I personally disagree with that about as strongly as you can, but its ludicrous to suggest he should be banned for it. I'd much rather attack his premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

A faceless bunch of drones doing their job should be shot because they didnt withhold enough or his wife is emotionally unstable? that is NOT an opinion. And to raise VT in the same context magnifies it. Not only should he be banned for life, he should seek professional help, quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just shrieking. Seek professional help? What a ridiculous bit of hyperbole. You don't really think that, do you? Like you think he should be evaluated as a danger to himself or others, or that he could use an hour a week on a leather couch?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A faceless bunch of drones doing their job

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Now where have I heard that excuse before . . . ?

[ QUOTE ]
should be shot because they didnt withhold enough or his wife is emotionally unstable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that not only are personal attacks on posters a no-no, but personal attacks on their families are probably even worse.

[ QUOTE ]
that is NOT an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not? Are you the arbiter of what is an opinion and what isn't?

[ QUOTE ]
And to raise VT in the same context magnifies it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your faux outrage is very impressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Not only should he be banned for life, he should seek professional help, quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

And again with the personal attacks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:21 PM

My main choice would be war on drugs, but I am going to try something a little different.

I hate the spirit of the government. More specifically the feeling that people have when they talk about the national government. People trust them with their hearts and minds. The common man puts so much faith into an organization that has done little to deserve this adulation. By monopolizing so many things they have made our society un-aware of other options that may be present to them without the government. I don't know if I am articulating myself as well as I need to, but I am sure the ACers understand. I encounter people who give so much trust in things like national IDs, or homeland security. It hurts me to watch all this faith go into something that will only fail them time and time again. This faith is the heart of the problem.

I don't know if that's in the spirit of the question, but I have had a couple of beers and I don't give an eff.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just shrieking. Seek professional help? What a ridiculous bit of hyperbole. You don't really think that, do you? Like you think he should be evaluated as a danger to himself or others, or that he could use an hour a week on a leather couch?

[/ QUOTE ]

vhawk,

I would advise you to peruse a sampling of Copernicus's previous posts for context. You are new to the denizens of Politics, after all. I think you'll have a much clearer understanding.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The content regarding SS in the "summary" is wrong, period. Consolidating SS and Medicare future liabilities in current deficits is bad accounting, period. GAAP accouting is not approrpiate for Government entities, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is GAAP accounting not appropriate for Government entities? Why should accounting standards be any more lax for them? To hide the impending disaster? Those obligations DO exist, trying to hide them is just ludicrous.

At least one of these things has to happen:
1. Spending must be cut DRASTICALLY
2. Taxes must be raised DRASTICALLY
3. Social security obligations can be cancelled
4. We could significantly expand money supply and inflate the problem away
5. We default on our debt

When a politician tries to get elected saying any of these, what d'you think his chances are? Zero?