Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: poker coaching

To clarify, I was referring to dids passing judgment on coaches. I just don't see how dids can say, "that coach sucks."

Dids wrote, "Also, some of the people I see coaching (and I base this more on their posts and my impression of their ability to reason in a non-poker context) strike me as really laughable."

That's all I was referring to. If you have access to a great player, go for it, you likely don't need a coach if he will set aside time for you. But don't knock coaches based on whatever little correspondence you personally had with them on subjects other than poker.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

ah, your argument makes a bit more sense now, and yeah, dids is probably wrong on that one. i dont see anyone admitting being wrong in our future though.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had this sort of relationship with a number of 2+2ers via AIM where we could just shoot each other some hands from time to time if we wanted a quick check on something rather than doing a whole post. Over the last few years, I have talked NL like that with a lot of guys, daryn, strassa, raptor, chuddo, RBK, lapoker, bruiser, these are just a few of the guys I've discussed a lot of hands with, mainly just exchanging quick thoughts on lines and mistakes and sick beats. I got to know all of them just from interacting with them in poker threads on 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]
what about meeeeeeeeee el deeeeeeeeeeeee ??? ;p
Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM

Is anyone else hoping Dids and Ahnuld drop names so this thread turns into a dramabomb?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone else hoping Dids and Ahnuld drop names so this thread turns into a dramabomb?

[/ QUOTE ]

*raises hand*
Old 05-05-2007, 04:39 PM

I'd really be stoked to have a coach to help my game out up the higher limits, but I look at the ratio between the cost of having a coach, and the limit I currently play (50NL), and it just doesn't add up. Do you guys think being coached now is actually worth it when looking ahead? Paying for coaching would make a huge dent in my bankroll but would probably really help me improve for when I am able to move up. So it's kind of a catch 22 for me right now.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM

stake,
i think that waiting until a bit higher limits would be alot more beneficial. 50nl and below is primarely learning how to get a good solid framework and good habits that will help as you move up. i would wait until 100nl at the very minimum to start getting a coach i think.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stake,
i think that waiting until a bit higher limits would be alot more beneficial. 50nl and below is primarely learning how to get a good solid framework and good habits that will help as you move up. i would wait until 100nl at the very minimum to start getting a coach i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, for an expensive coach. For example, I won't really coach anyone playing under $100 NL because it just isn't worth their time or mine. However, there are a lot of $100/200NL players that will coach $50NL and below for under $50/hr. I think that may be worth it especially for people just beginning and looking to get a good framework quickly. Don't get too married to anything they say though because they likely aren't playing higher for a reason.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 PM

Good points. 50NL is very ABC anyway, I am just eager on moving up and improving my game beyond that, as it's quite boring and frustrating.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:16 AM

There is much more to poker coaching than, check/bet/raise/call/fold. In fact, many of the players that post on this forum could use coaching 'out of hand' more than 'in hand'. They get all the in hand stuff they need right here in the stat forums.

As Tommy says, "for all the same reasons Tiger Woods has a golf coach".