Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Typical loose 1/2 NL game. UTG raises to 7. UTG + 1 mucks. 5 of us see the flop. 779 flops. Checked around. Turn 6. Someone bets, and 3 of us fold (including UTG ... the pf raiser). River is 8. Heads up, there is a bet and a raise and the raise is called. Both decide to show their hands. Bettor had Tx for straight, and raiser had 88 for full house on the river.

UTG + 1 who folded pf jumped up and hollered, "THAT'S what I'm talking about. That's why you fold that hand." I asked what he folded and he said, "Jacks." I said, "you folded pocket jacks pf?" He said, "yep, I know the dude who raised, and I put him on AK. I knew I was way behind, so I folded. And I would have lost on the river. Hell, I fold JJ all the time. I've even folded better hands than that preflop."

I was stunned for 5 minutes and just couldn't respond.

--Headhunter
Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 AM

My favorite piece of strategy is someone who won't bet a huge hand like KK because the ace always comes. Stuff like that.

Part of me loves playing those guys, part of me hates it. They play bottom pair and nut flush identically, hate it when the latter shows up.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Many times I have been told that a table with lots of fish removes all skill from poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a true statement.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 AM

i say stupid things at the table all the time and with the upmost sincerity, because they are definitely +EV. not just at making myself look stupid and therefore having opponents underestimate me, but because if u r convincing enough some people start to implement them.

its taking the old adage 'don't educate them' to the next level...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM

1/2 NL game. I showed down the nut flush after flopping a flush draw with two overs. My opponent asks what I would have done if he had raised bigger on the flop. I responded that I would have likely pushed given his shorter stack and that I thought I had 15 outs. An older gentleman asks how I figure that. I say 6 for the overs and 9 for the flush. He responds: "But you only have 7 for the flush since you have two spades in your hand."
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM

him - Q6 is better than AA if you're all in preflop. they did a simulation on the compter.

me - i'll bet you 1000 dollars that AA will beat Q 6 on the next five card board we see.

him - no, AA wins in the short term, but when Q6 goes against AA millions of times, then it is slightly ahead.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
him - Q6 is better than AA if you're all in preflop. they did a simulation on the compter.

me - i'll bet you 1000 dollars that AA will beat Q 6 on the next five card board we see.

him - no, AA wins in the short term, but when Q6 goes against AA millions of times, then it is slightly ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahaha! What an idiot. Everyone knows this is only true when you play online.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:33 AM

This happened a while ago in your typical 3-6 game. It was a kill-pot and I open-raised somewhere in the middle with AQs. I took the pot down without a showdown and the guy next to me questioned why I would raise with AQ there.

Him: Why would you raise with AQ there?
Me: I want to win money.
Him: Yeah, but AQ?
Me: Would you raise with AKs there?
Him: No. Why would you raise with a drawing hand?
Me: Drawing hand?
Him: Yeah, you have to hit to win, right?
Me: Sure?

I used to think this guy was a good player too. I guess I narrowed down his preflop raising range.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahaha! What an idiot. Everyone knows this is only true when you play online.

[/ QUOTE ]

so he should have just offered to make the bet on the next 5 card board we saw on the interwebs? damn, i could have gotten fleeced. good thing the guy was such a moron.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want that seat when he leaves! That seat is getting all the best cards." Like a hot seat can expect to stay hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hot seats.

Like any hot streak in any gambling game like blackjack, roulette, craps there is no set way the cards are distributed.

Seat 3 can have the winning hand 20 hands in a row just like red can come up 20 times in a row. Not believing in streaks is vastly -EV. Moving to that seat may be the only way to get in on the good runs of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

Did your old account get banned?