Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Day Trading for Beginners - any tips for getting started?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, here's a tip for a beginner at daytrading...don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any personal experience to share on which you base your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Except for the fact that it is incredibly risky. I had a friend who dabbled in daytrading & wound up losing a small fortune. I know that doesn't mean much but anyone who decides to try it needs to be careful. To use a poker expression, "the kiddie game is down the street".

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know??? Because *1* friend of yours did poorly?

Why do you believe less time exposure to the market = Higher risk?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you realize that there is a minimum 25000$ for daytrading...

[/ QUOTE ]

RG, only for equities...
Old 04-26-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Except for the fact that it is incredibly risky. I had a friend who dabbled in daytrading & wound up losing a small fortune. I know that doesn't mean much but anyone who decides to try it needs to be careful. To use a poker expression, "the kiddie game is down the street".

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I really don't give a rat's hairy ass what the OP does with his money. But he's about to dive headlong into an area of investing where he obviously has no experience. I was simply pointing that out to him. Stop being so nitty & learn to read between the lines....oh, I forgot...you don't know how to do that, this is 2+2.

FWIW, I used my friend as an example because he too had no experience at daytrading.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I really don't give a rat's hairy ass what the OP does with his money. But he's about to dive headlong into an area of investing where he obviously has no experience. I was simply pointing that out to him. Stop being so nitty & learn to read between the lines....oh, I forgot...you don't know how to do that, this is 2+2.

FWIW, I used my friend as an example because he too had no experience at daytrading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad, if you don't care what he does, then why did you give him advice in this thread???

OP asked for advice on how to get started... and you told him not to do it... and can't even explain why you feel that way, or on what basis you make that suggestion.

Would you go into Beginners or micro and tell someone asking "how to get started" in poker, that they shouldn't do it?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad, if you don't care what he does, then why did you give him advice in this thread???

OP asked for advice on how to get started... and you told him not to do it... and can't even explain why you feel that way, or on what basis you make that suggestion.

Would you go into Beginners or micro and tell someone asking "how to get started" in poker, that they shouldn't do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that kinda is advice...maybe not what he wanted to hear...but advice nonetheless. Wasn't trying to be a jerk but daytrading is a risky business (just like playing the commodities or currency markets) for the average investor to get into. He would be better served, IMO, if he stuck to stocks, mutual funds, index funds, etc. But, if he really thinks he must try daytrading, be prepared for volatility & meticulous recordkeeping. There that's my advice. OP, good luck to you.