Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: more bbv retardedness

Why does OOT have to change? I dont like the modding rules (though I like the mods) so I choose not to post their, and post in the 4 other off topic fora instead. People have so many choices now that you dont have to pander to the few dissatisfied 2+2ers, they can go somewhere else. If eventually OOT dies, then so be it, but that doesnt appear to be the case. Changing any of the rules based on the stuff in this thread is dumb imo.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't want public discussion about why OOT sucks balls these days? Wow, I never saw that coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is plenty of public discussion of why people don't like OOT right now. what i'm saying is airing moderator opinions in public won't really help the mod discussion.

like i said, feel free to take it to ATF and start your trolling. make sure and offer some constructive ideas too, like the x-files forum, and the five hundred threads a day of your favorite madonna song to listen to in your 'i'm the daddy' t-shirt while crying and beating off, etc.

since you have such a track record of being a beloved OOT mod and poster i expect your ideas will be well received
Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is plenty of public discussion of why people don't like OOT right now. what i'm saying is airing moderator opinions in public won't really help the mod discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely.

However, it would also be nice if in the future dissenting moderator opinions could be expressed and discussed in this forum freely, which as evidenced in this thread, is not exactly happening.

There seems to be some misconception that I have concrete ideas to change or improve OOT. This is not the case. I've only been saying that given the level of complaining and the quality of content recently, it may be worthwhile to self-examine what we're doing. Check out the actual post that daryn keeps referring to. I said:

[ QUOTE ]
If everybody is in agreement that the content in OOT sucks, and that the forum is no longer relevant with other alternatives available (such as El D's forum, The Lounge, BBV4Life, etc.), perhaps the powers that be can be convinced to promote a heads up freezeout between Gildwulf and daryn, where the loser's forum is eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can judge for yourself if this is comdenation or defense of OOT when taking into context the prior content of my posts in that thread.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Also, if somebody wants to try and repurpose this drama into a public thread for entertainment purposes, that would be fine with me.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 PM

sam,

in general i think the complaints about OOT are fairly overblown. the creation of new forums has taken some chunks out of our niche but there is still lots of traffic. with BBV and EDF being very successful, they are taking some of the 'fresh' content away, and i've acknowledged that many times. i think we should applaud their success moreso than worry about OOT for those particular reasons.

the main thing right now (as you noted in ATF) is that it's fairly fashionable to rip on OOT, but regular OOT posters don't seem to be complaining much. if OOT regulars are bitching / leaving entirely, then i start to worry. if someone wants to hold a 'state of OOT' thread in OOT and hear the opinions of longtime posters, i'd be up for it. just say, anyone with a reg date before june 06 and over 100 posts, what is your opinion of where OOT is at? what should be do, if anything, to change it? i would guess that most OOT regulars would feel that some of the fresh content is being taken out by new forums / general blah feeling, but very few would have a problem with the * system or the moderation. we really don't ban or * that many people these days; as daryn noted, he hardly ever does it, and i basically only do it for ridiculously bad threads that break a bunch of rules, like chain emails and BBV trolls, etc. that might piss off the kinds of people who post chain emails in OOT but it doesn't seem to be driving down traffic.

basically the people who have this sky is falling, OOT sucks attitude are the ones who have always had it, or they are people who are confused about the simple principles of cause and effect.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sam,

"With such a fundamental difference in opinion on the current state of affairs there"

I would still like to hear your suggestions for improving OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fundamental difference is that I think it may be worthwhile to examine current mod practices and overall direction of the forum (specifically with regards to driving away a good mix of potential posters/readers), and the other mods decidedly don't. That's all.

Thanks to everybody for their PMs. Its been fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam, people don't want you to leave. They just want you to stop criticizing your own forum's modding in public, which is part of what being a mod is all about (bitch about stuff in here, united front everywhere else).
Old 04-22-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sam, people don't want you to leave. They just want you to stop criticizing your own forum's modding in public, which is part of what being a mod is all about (bitch about stuff in here, united front everywhere else).

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT seems fine to me. I trust the assessment of daryn and nt!. Sam, if you aren't a constructive part of that team and/ or don't like it, you should quietly give up moderating in that forum.

The notion that you should leave 2+2 is ridiculous, but so is the idea of a farewell post when the farewell is the result of you simply not liking the position.

Your idea for a video montage can come at any time. It doesn't require being green.

Let me know what you guys want to do here.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 PM

NT = very smart.. dead on in this thread.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT seems fine to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM

sam,

Please toss out some ideas in this thread of things that you think could be done better or differently to possibly make OOT better. I think that's way more productive than talking about how you need to leave with a big farewell or saying the mods aren't willing to discuss forum modding and direction. Just toss out your thoughts and see what happens.