Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Does the \"wholesome\" poker player exist (anymore)?

barry greenstein
Old 04-21-2007, 11:53 PM

cunningham
juanda
Old 04-22-2007, 12:37 AM

Hmmm...you sound like a lazy, out of work bum living off of my tax dollars because you're "disabled"...*wink* *wink*

You know every time I write something in here I expect to be attacked 1. because I'm opinionated 2. because too many in here have too much time on their hands. Nevertheless it would be refreshing just once to read something unflattering that someone actually put some thought into.

As for my illness(s), I refused for a very long time to acknowledge or get treatment largely because of attitudes like yours. My immediate family projected similar disdain over the course of decades.

Not that it's any of your business really, but a few years ago after being stricken with a physical ailment on top of everything else, I kind of gave up. I got into a fight with a younger simpleton tool at a job that was way beneath me but which I nevertheless excelled at--at least at one time--and after they wouldn't take me back I decided that after half a lifetime of this [censored] it just wasn't worth it anymore. Admittedly the Vicodin and Morphine don't lend themselves to much upward mobility, but then hard as I try I just don't recall going out of my way to be subject to no less than four clinical psychosis and a severely herniated L-4 S-5.

I don't actually care a whole hell of a lot what anyone thinks about this from a critical standpoint, but I must say I take some solace in the fact good upstanding citizens such as yourself thoroughly resent subsidizing my slow descent into oblivion. I doubt you would find anything to be envious of were you to experience it from my perspective, but that's another issue isn't it.

Maybe you can understand then under the circumstances how easy it would be for me to get caught up in the whole unadulterated excess of this racket. I really ought to be past the point where I pay a lot of mind to being socially constructive, but for whatever insanely unfathomable reason I'm not. This makes me all the more resentful that others of apparently substantially more means and opportunity have been seemingly much less constrained.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 AM

You know what.. as generous and upstanding as BG seems to be, I'm afraid he still has to be judged, at least to some degree, by the company he keeps.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:54 AM

'Beyond ridiculous' I'll take as a compliment.

It's all good to follow your own moral compass, but when if outside environmental factors are misdirecting you to the point your performance suffers without some reorientation?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...you sound like a lazy, out of work bum living off of my tax dollars because you're "disabled"...*wink* *wink*

You know every time I write something in here I expect to be attacked 1. because I'm opinionated 2. because too many in here have too much time on their hands. Nevertheless it would be refreshing just once to read something unflattering that someone actually put some thought into.

As for my illness(s), I refused for a very long time to acknowledge or get treatment largely because of attitudes like yours. My immediate family projected similar disdain over the course of decades.

Not that it's any of your business really, but a few years ago after being stricken with a physical ailment on top of everything else, I kind of gave up. I got into a fight with a younger simpleton tool at a job that was way beneath me but which I nevertheless excelled at--at least at one time--and after they wouldn't take me back I decided that after half a lifetime of this [censored] it just wasn't worth it anymore. Admittedly the Vicodin and Morphine don't lend themselves to much upward mobility, but then hard as I try I just don't recall going out of my way to be subject to no less than four clinical psychosis and a severely herniated L-4 S-5.

I don't actually care a whole hell of a lot what anyone thinks about this from a critical standpoint, but I must say I take some solace in the fact good upstanding citizens such as yourself thoroughly resent subsidizing my slow descent into oblivion. I doubt you would find anything to be envious of were you to experience it from my perspective, but that's another issue isn't it.

Maybe you can understand then under the circumstances how easy it would be for me to get caught up in the whole unadulterated excess of this racket. I really ought to be past the point where I pay a lot of mind to being socially constructive, but for whatever insanely unfathomable reason I'm not. This makes me all the more resentful that others of apparently substantially more means and opportunity have been seemingly much less constrained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's reduced the babble to cliff notes, shall we:

a. By your own admission, you are "mentally disabled" & have to live off the rest of us.

b. Your own family thinks you are a lazy bum.

c. You got fired from a job for an altercation with a co-worker.

d. You sound like you're hooked on pain killers

e. You don't care what others think of you.

f. But yet, dispite of it all, you still have the mental & physical ability to sit on your ass & play internet poker all day while drawing a check from Uncle Sam.

Did I miss anything??
Old 04-22-2007, 05:54 PM

I seem to recall paying into SS.

I have no intention of divulging the details of my condition, but if I did you would understand the issue better and not draw such simplistic conclusions. It might sound like its a lot of fun to have your life revolve around staying home watching TV, surfing the net and playing poker all day, but when that's your whole entire life it's actually pretty depressing.

My family--my father specifically--are mental cases themselves and can't be expected to make good value judgments about anything or anyone.

I wasn't fired I quit when they wanted to write me up. Initially I tried to do the responsible thing and get the job back--I'd been there 10 years off and on--rather than throw in the towel and file for disability, which by the way I should have done 10 years earlier, so you got a bargain, you're welcome.

I wouldn't say I don't care what others think about me, but I will say under the circumstances I just can't give it a lot of consideration because the opinion isn't informed.

As for the PK they were prescribed for a medical condition. I was actually on something a lot stronger than Morphine, but I moved down to M. I've also reduced the Vicodin intake. No one who has never been on painkillers for an extended period of time has any business making a judgment about those of us who have. They are extremely difficult to get off of, especially when there are extenuating factors like depression. There is also no guarantee I wouldn't have a recurrence of the agony that necessitated them in the first place. Were that to happen I certainly wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of getting back on a new regimen, with a new doctor, especially in the current political climate. If I ever were going to quit I would probably stockpile them. The L-4 S-5 is a life threatening condition when not controlled.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Oh, you quit your job instead of being fired...that's even worse!!!

You sound just like every other person I've ever met with your type of 'condition'. You are never to blame. It's always somebody or something else's fault.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 PM

You know next to nothing about me, but you still persist in these presumptions.

I'd love to play poker with you. I can't imagine with your level of skill reading people you would be anything other than dead money.

Oh and don't bother posting again in the hopes of a response, I know well when someone can't be gotten through to.