Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Re: The Truth About the Rich

the rich are not the problem. Anybody can get rich if they want it bad enough and are willing to gamble/break the law/ bend the rules etc.../ Work hard enough mostly. However you can not get rich by simply working hard. You must take some risks of some sort. but i digress...
the problem is with the wealthy that comprise less than 1% of the poplulation but own over 80 or 90% of the wealth in America. I'm pulling this figure out my azz but its not far off. There was a thread about it not long ago. Concentration of wealth has some benefits (others can justify this statement) but by and large it is something that must be corrected every so often or the majority of us are doomed.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Distributions that extreme have invariably been accompanied by regimes weilding huge amounts of coercive force, so the empirical examples you could provide would be "undesirable".

[/ QUOTE ]

So then you believe that AC would have a wealth distribution that is less imbalanced? This seems implied by this statement.

[ QUOTE ]
the rich are not the problem. Anybody can get rich if they want it bad enough and are willing to gamble/break the law/ bend the rules etc.../ Work hard enough mostly. However you can not get rich by simply working hard. You must take some risks of some sort. but i digress...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's good to know I always have robbing a bank as a backup for that whole class mobility thing.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah that's the same as your statement that he came to the "exact opposite conclusion". Whatever.... let the reader judge your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. His conclusion: From the data we can conclude that fewer and fewer people will stay in the richest quintile over time

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's certainly true that we can conclude that. Just because we can conclude that doesn't mean there's proof beyond a reasonable doubt or that the conclusion is correct or anything like that though. We don't have enough information to be sure of anything, but from the information we have, Occam's Razor suggests it's gonna keep on down that path. I never said we had enough information...

Nowhere did I say that this data is significant to proove anything. All I was really saying is that the chart looks better for the "pro-wealth mobility" side than it does for the "anti-wealth mobility" side it was originally posted to support. This doesn't mean the chart is some magical proof or anything.

The conclusions I stated are most definitely the most logical you can draw from the information at hand, in fact, they're the only reasonable conclusions you can draw, but that information is certainly not remotely enough to base decisions on and I never claimed it was.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM

No Alex, logical deduction indicates we cannot make that conclusion from the given data without making certain additional assumptions. Tbat assumption (the downwardly mobile rich are evenly/randomly chosen from the top quintile) may be reasonable but it hasn't been demonstrated. I'm on your side but your thinking is fuzzy here.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No Alex, logical deduction indicates we cannot make that conclusion from the given data without making certain additional assumptions. Tbat assumption (the downwardly mobile rich are evenly/randomly chosen from the top quintile) may be reasonable but it hasn't been demonstrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm saying... (I did edit my post significantly though)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM

that comic is presenting a false analogy, but ok, thanks for posting.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by and large it is something that must be corrected every so often or the majority of us are doomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

How often does it need to be corrected? Or, what criteria do you examine to determine that it needs to be corrected? When you correct it, what is the correct distribution to move to? How did you determine that?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM

Yeah... I correctly put you back on my ignore list, so all these responses to my posts you keep making aren't getting read.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM

christ you can't even admit it's a stupid comic