Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Jury Duty

[ QUOTE ]
Letter isnt certified, no proof I ever got it. Just ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding
Old 07-11-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't believe the number of people who are advocating illegal activities here. Would you all go around robbing people if there was "no way to prove" you did it?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is more of a "I'm going to go drinking underage because I won't get caught" type of thing, aka a victimless crime.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:00 AM

I've been twice. Once they said they accidentally called everyone's group (it's a phone call in system where you go on the day your "letter group" is asked for) so all but a few "letters" got to go home and were excused rom that whole round of serving! The other time my dog had gotten loose (when I had a big goofy dog) and the neighbors called. I went to the desk, just to ask what time we would get a lunch break so that I could run home and deal with it or similar, and the guy let me go home.
Honesty is the best policy. And bring a book.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I can't believe the number of people who are advocating illegal activities here. Would you all go around robbing people if there was "no way to prove" you did it?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is more of a "I'm going to go drinking underage because I won't get caught" type of thing, aka a victimless crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "victimless" crime....if you don't serve on a jury, someone else has to do it for you. It's a pretty clear 1:1 ratio.

If you have a good reason to not serve, then tell them. Otherwise, what makes your time more valuable that whoever has to replace you?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM

BTW, I just went to jury duty a couple weeks ago. I was actually seated in a juror seat for a drug-dealing trial (I was one of the first 12 numbers called for that trial), but the prosecution booted me when I told them I was a lawyer.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a "victimless" crime....if you don't serve on a jury, someone else has to do it for you. It's a pretty clear 1:1 ratio.

If you have a good reason to not serve, then tell them. Otherwise, what makes your time more valuable that whoever has to replace you?

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair, most people don't end up having to serve and get to go home, having wasted a day. so the ratio isn't really 1:1.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM

I got out of it no problem once I mailed them my summer schedual, went to vegas.

Thatpfunk, wtf, were you in my house?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Nick:

everyone here is probably too smart to serve on a jury - either they'll be booted because of that or they'll be booted intentionally because it's a waste of their time.

clearly we should go back to Athenian juries which had 501 or 1001 members.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:00 AM

So I'm 22 years old and walk into a courtroom in Olathe, KS. First thing I get asked is what I do for a living. "I play poker." I did not end up on the jury...