Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Greatest sports moment of your entire life?

- Packers winning the Super Bowl against New England in 1996-97

- U.S. men's soccer team making the World Cup quarters

- The Duke-Kentucky epic in the NCAA men's basketball tournament in 1992
Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Just remembered this one:

College. Intramural basketball. My fraternity had two teams in the league. One good. One bad. I was on the bad team. King of the [censored] kinda.

Anyway, we are getting pummeled by a rival fraternity. Perspective: The winning team usually scores about 50 pts in a game. There's about 2 minutes left in the game, rivals are up so big they are now trying to score 100. Of course we are pissed and try to stop them from going over 100. They start pressing. We continue to flail. They get it to 99 with like a minute to go.

I in-bound it from under our hoop. Dude on our team takes the pass right under the basket and shoots into their hoop to put them over 100. Steals the heart of those bastards.

At first I was like, yo! wtf! Then the look on the other [censored]' faces was priceless. Shoulders dropped, jaws dropped, pride gone.

That dude drank for free that night.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM

AAA Little League - 13&14 year old's. I threw a one hit complete game shut out in the first round of the playoffs against the all-time hated team in the league. 15 strikeouts in a six inning game.

Freshmen year of college, golf practice. Don't have classes on the day of practice so I decide to get drunk before practice. Head over to the course around 3 pm and shoot a 69 (I was about a 6 handicap at the time) on a par 71. I made about a 30 foot chip for eagle on 18 for the 69.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 PM

12 years old, little league all-star game. Bases clearing double to take the lead and eventually win the game.

Senior in High School, winning a wrestling match vs. our heated rivals. I score a takedown in the 3rd period to make it 17-2. Normally, 15 points is a technical fall and the match is stopped, but I kept the guy on his back and wound up pinning him. It proved to be a crucial difference between scoring 5 points (for a tech) and 6 points (for a pin) as we tied 27-27.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 PM

4th grade basketball baby. I had a T.O. sized ego back then, where I just absolutely KNEW I was the best.

I had one main rival, and our two teams pretty much destroyed everyone else in the league and went undefeated. Before our teams played in the last league game of the season, I talked all kinds of crap and guaranteed victory, then went out and outscored their team by myself. Then we met in the league championship and I did it all over again.

I've done better things as an athlete, but nothing could ever compare to the way those games made me feel as a little kid. That burning competitiveness, that absolute confidence, that kill to win, rather die than lose type attitude and the smug, "told you so" arrogance I walked around with afterwards are some of my favorite memories.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Hey, I'm dumb. I didn't read the beginning ...

I would say that, for me, the greatest sports moment I was ever a part of was in U-8 soccer, my team going 14-0 on the season, winning the regular-season title and then the 'Soccer Saturday' tournament title.

What made it even better was that 9 kids from that U-8 local soccer team played varsity soccer together in high school. Tight-knit group ... very memorable.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just remembered this one:

College. Intramural basketball. My fraternity had two teams in the league. One good. One bad. I was on the bad team. King of the [censored] kinda.

Anyway, we are getting pummeled by a rival fraternity. Perspective: The winning team usually scores about 50 pts in a game. There's about 2 minutes left in the game, rivals are up so big they are now trying to score 100. Of course we are pissed and try to stop them from going over 100. They start pressing. We continue to flail. They get it to 99 with like a minute to go.

I in-bound it from under our hoop. Dude on our team takes the pass right under the basket and shoots into their hoop to put them over 100. Steals the heart of those bastards.

At first I was like, yo! wtf! Then the look on the other [censored]' faces was priceless. Shoulders dropped, jaws dropped, pride gone.

That dude drank for free that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one's awesome.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:32 PM

From a Canadian perspective for any hockey fans or almost any Canadian in the early 70's old enough to watch TV-lol , it would have to be Paul Henderson's goal in the 1972 Canada/Russia hockey series.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 PM

I went to high school with this guy who was an all-county lineman. He had 15 tackles for loss or something sick like that. We lost touch, but sometimes I wonder what he's up to these days?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:43 PM

My last year of organized baseball, playing in an 18-25 year olds league. I'm the leadoff hitter on the visiting team.

1st at bat of the game, on the 10th pitch of the at-bat, I hit a 3-2 fastball well to LF, I put my head down running, thinking triple and I'm almost to 2nd when I realize the 3B coach is yelling "Slow Down, it's over the fence."

2nd at bat, 2-0 count, I get a juicy fastball and make probably the best contact I've ever made, absolutley crush the ball far over the CF fence.

3rd at bat, I fall behind 0-2, foul off a ton off pitches work the count to 2-2. Still choked up on the bat I get just enough off the pitch to clear the left field fence.

4th at bat bases loaded 2 outs, full count. I hit a line drive right at the shortstop to end the game. My dad says it was the hardest hit ball I had that day, I thought HR #2 was hit harder.

I go 3-4, 3 HR's we lose the game 13-3. I wasn't much of a HR hitter, had maybe 4 others in 20 games that season.

Have obviously had much better team moments, but that was my best individual moment.