Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: For atheists....how?

[ QUOTE ]
The laws of Physics theories has been broken by Hubble but that doesnt matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this, please? Are you saying Hubble violated the laws of physics?

[ QUOTE ]
Its only theory

[/ QUOTE ]

A scientific theory is extremely strong. But in the case of the origins of the universe, you're right that it's hard to be sure. Still, the Big Bang theory is highly consistent with what we can observe.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not going to pretend that I am scholastically smarter then any of you hear, cause I am not. But isnt it possible that I may be smarter in other ways of thinking that you can't understand either?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. The problem is that Pascal's Wager is a logical argument. Therefore it is subject to logical constraints. If you think Pascal had an intuitive point, that's fine. He didn't have a logical point.

[ QUOTE ]
If math is anything its that there is a right and wrong answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. It's unfortunate that math is taught this way in elementary and high school. Math is about understanding the relationships between quantities. It's not about getting the right answer. Math is extremely reliable, which makes it a good tool for getting "the right answer" in practical applications, but even then it's more an answer consistent with our information than the "right" answer.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you answer things with a question your proving you have absolutley no leg to stand on and are just talking jibbrish.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he's entertaining...

Answering a question with a question has been a sign of wisdom for thousands of years. My father is a Mormon Bishop and also a professor. He's a consummate scholar of the LDS faith. Answering a question with a question is one of his favorite techniques, and one I highly respect. I suppose despite his insight and what I'm sure you would call exceptional wisdom and "common sense" (personally I take Einstein's view of that) he must be a moron because he answers a question with a question.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 PM

Albert Einstein said the older I get the more I believe in there being a creator of all things. Einstein is obv a loon cause he made a statement he couldnt prove.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Albert Einstein said the older I get the more I believe in there being a creator of all things. Einstein is obv a loon cause he made a statement he couldnt prove.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its a huge problem for those who think your views are extremely irrational that Einstein had such a high regard for them.

chez
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Einstein never said that. To his death he firmly rejected the idea of a personal God.

What he did say is "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least he's entertaining...

[/ QUOTE ]

But pointless. His threads go in pointless logic-free circles.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly dont see how its more likely that the Bible and God don't exist then do exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Substitute Quran and Allah and you'd make a great Muslim.

And anyway who ever said the bible didn't exist? I saw a bunch of them in a bookstore yesterday.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:24 PM

im gonna restate a question cause i really want to see it answered.

You say the bible makes sense, you believe in it. What about the koran? Do you not believe the koran is true? Why do you believe the bible is true, but the koran is not?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im gonna restate a question cause i really want to see it answered.

You say the bible makes sense, you believe in it. What about the koran? Do you not believe the koran is true? Why do you believe the bible is true, but the koran is not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats like saying why do you love this person and not this person. Cause I do. I know I love my Brother and I know that the Bible is true and the Koran isnt.

If you don't believe in faith then you don't believe in love. Your admitting that you really don't know if you love someone if you can't feel sure about the bible.

Asking how you know its true is not the question you should be asking, you should be asking how did you come to that belief.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cause I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't argue with that. Wonder if Muslims use the same reasoning to come to their faith? I'm thinking yes.