Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

[ QUOTE ]
I watched Down By Law the other day, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm a huge Tom Waits guy, so seeing him on screen for 1.5 hours was prety great. Benigni was hysterical, Lurie wad solid, and the cinematography was beautiful, filled with picturesque B&W shots that captured New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great film. The ice cream scene is unforgettable.
Tom Waits is awesome too.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Pan's Labyrinth - good but not great. Maybe I need to see it again, when I'm NOT on a date.

All or Nothing - paced slowly but with a good ending where actors truly shined.

Little Miss Sunshine - easily the best new comedy i've seen in years, but much more than a comedy.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM

***spoilers***

ok, after the mention in here had a look. coincidentally, came home from a morning workout with my tennis coach and was confronted with the opening tennis bits in this film. for that reason and it being filmed in london--loved seeing them at the tate, etc.--this movie started off well for me, in that sentimental sort of way. of course, once chris traded skeet for nola my happy feelings were taken away (tbh, with all that brutal acting i was kind of wanting someone to shoot her in the face, sorry katy). a decent film, all in all. was quite pleased with the ending, as had chris been arrested this movie would've been fairly worthless.

pryor, thought you did a good job of reviewing this one. that thread kind of got away from you, though, eh?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I watched Down By Law the other day, and enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm a huge Tom Waits guy, so seeing him on screen for 1.5 hours was prety great. Benigni was hysterical, Lurie wad solid, and the cinematography was beautiful, filled with picturesque B&W shots that captured New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great film. The ice cream scene is unforgettable.
Tom Waits is awesome too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and Benigni's first appearance ("sad and beautiful world") had me rolling.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pryor, thought you did a good job of reviewing this one. that thread kind of got away from you, though, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks...yeah, that kind of happened a lot back then...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM

pretty much exactly what i expected. least favourite of sofia's films, but decent enough.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM

saw Shopgirl over the weekend after hearing nothing but good reveiws...watched it with a friend and we both thought it was horrible. Very boring, Steve Martin was horrible and his narration was worse...claire danes is cute...
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
saw Shopgirl over the weekend after hearing nothing but good reveiws...watched it with a friend and we both thought it was horrible. Very boring, Steve Martin was horrible and his narration was worse...claire danes is cute...

[/ QUOTE ]

had the opposite experience: didn't expect much, but found it to be quite good. definitely, martin should not have narrated this--just bad/egoism. also, the scene on the bed when mirabelle reads the letter from ray and goes into a crying fit should've been axed.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

pretty much exactly what i expected. least favourite of sofia's films, but decent enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was bored out of my skull when I saw this in the theater. Everyone just seemed to be going through the motions and there was next to no plot to it, which upset me greatly because a great film could be made about Marie Antoinette's life.

Recently I saw M and Pan's Labyrinth. BOth films shocked me, but in a good way. With M I was shocked that it ever got past the censors due to the subject matter and with Pan's Labyrinth it visusally shocked me. Pan's is right at the top of my to buy list when it comes out and I pretty much plan on seeing it in the theater again after I get to a few that I haven't seen yet
Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 PM

yeah, was pretty disappointed with MA, except that i expected it not to be up to par with LIT (one of my favourite films). there just wasn't anything to get into or care about in MA.
Closed Thread