Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: LASIK: Trip Report

There is some good info in here. I desperatly want to get LASIK. I wear contacts and the annoying thing is not being able to fall asleep while wearing them. It is a huge pain in the ass if I am out all night and want to crash at a friends place, but then have to search around for a 34 hour Duane Reade to get a case and some solution.

I was at the eye doctor this week, and he said my perscription hasn't changed in 4 years, so if I wait 1 more year to make sure, he can then do the surgery.

Also, regarding the price,
A cousin of mine knows the lasik doctor in NJ who does all the radio commercials in the NY/NJ area, and he said a huge chunk of his business comes from correcting the surgery done by the $1,000/eye docs.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did she look at your retina? A very bright light attached to a head piece and usually you would be leaned back in the exam chair. I believe many retina "LASIK Complications" are actually pre-exisitng tears or detachments that are missed by the refractive cutter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The LASIK place did not. However I had a full eye exam by my normal doctor two days before the proceedure that wasn't mentioned above. During that exam I had the normal dialation retenia exam. Also note that my proceedure involved no cutting, either by laser or my microkeratome. Hence why it's PRK and not LASIK.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM

i just had lasik yesterday at the kremer laser eye center. i went with wavefront lasik to get the best possible results. my vision is 20/15 now and i couldn't be happier.

i agree the first 2-3 hours afterwords are the worst; luckily i was able to fall asleep and when i woke up i felt much better. i didn't end up needing the painkillers though so i consider myself very lucky.

i highly recommend lasik in general and specifically the kremer laser people.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:30 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for this? I still have this procedure on my list of things to do.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM

i paid $3825 for both eyes after a 15% discount. Their plans go down to $2500 for both eyes but that doesn't include wavefront and only includes a couple of follow up appointments, and any touch-up surgery isn't included. Any touch-ups for me are free for the first 12 months and only $395 an eye for the next 2 years after that.

i guess other useful information i could add is that i'm 21 years old.. my prescription was -4.25 in each eye and hadn't changed for about 3 years.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for this? I still have this procedure on my list of things to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the US, typically around $3,000-$3,500 for both eyes. That usually includes a couple pre-lasik exams to make sure your eyes are good candidates and a post-lasik checkup. If you were contacts they do it a couple times because you have to stop wearing them for a few weeks ahead of time (longer for hard lenses). Plus some steroid eye drops for post-lasik healing.

I've heard of it being much cheaper in Canada, but they don't do as much pre/post checkups for the guy I know that had it done.

In the US, most employers offer a flex spending program for health care costs and lasik qualifies. So, next time it comes up, dump $3,000 into the plan and then you get to pay for the LASIK with pre-tax dollars.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i paid $3825 for both eyes after a 15% discount. Their plans go down to $2500 for both eyes but that doesn't include wavefront and only includes a couple of follow up appointments, and any touch-up surgery isn't included. Any touch-ups for me are free for the first 12 months and only $395 an eye for the next 2 years after that.

i guess other useful information i could add is that i'm 21 years old.. my prescription was -4.25 in each eye and hadn't changed for about 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd, my 3500 free included one free touch-up per eye for life. Teplic institute here in Beaverton, OR.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you myopes get your retinal tears and detachments, please feel free to PM me. Having a scleral buckle done will make you wish a Milwaukee Light can fell on your head for whining about your LASIK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means, but I'm scared. I'd love to have Lasik done after wearing glasses and contacts all my life but man I'm still not convinced there aren't any long-term effects and until the long-term effects have been documented I guess I'm gonna wait. *sigh*
Old 08-17-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to have Lasik done after wearing glasses and contacts all my life but man I'm still not convinced there aren't any long-term effects and until the long-term effects have been documented I guess I'm gonna wait. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are long-term effects, we will all have a giant support group.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you myopes get your retinal tears and detachments, please feel free to PM me. Having a scleral buckle done will make you wish a Milwaukee Light can fell on your head for whining about your LASIK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this means, but I'm scared. I'd love to have Lasik done after wearing glasses and contacts all my life but man I'm still not convinced there aren't any long-term effects and until the long-term effects have been documented I guess I'm gonna wait. *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how long do you want to wait? LASIK has been in use for over 10 years at this point in the US alone.