Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the Video Game Industry

[ QUOTE ]

- I assumed while it would be cool at first to work on a video game when it comes right down to it there isn't a huge difference between game programming and "other programming"

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Game programming is probably the most exciting programming you can do and be well paid (eg. not starting your own company or something). You get to work on a wide variety of high tech in a rapidly changing field. You're at the cutting edge of real time graphics, physics, AI, etc. It's possible to work on a really amazing game that's a cultural milestone. Doing database programming or something is never going to give you that. Of course there are negatives that balance it out, high stress, long hours, bad managers, etc.

I would never work at EA except as a stepping stone to a better job, you're right they treat their people like crap (though they do pay overtime now and it's easy to hide your laziness in their mess if you want to).
Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Austin. That's the meat of it. There are a few smaller enclaves in Dallas, a few other places. Even Austin is pretty minor in comparison to the first 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shout out for Ensemble pls.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 PM

I'm curious about how licensing works with older or more obscure licenses. One of the best examples I can think of is Back to the Future. There were several games made 15-20 years ago, but what if a company wanted to make a next-gen BTTF game today? Would it even be possible?

Would the license belong to whoever owns the movie license, or does it likely still belong to a videogame company? How much do you think that would go for, and would it be a set price, royalties, or both?

What about an old cartoon that is no longer in the public eye, something like a Danger Mouse or a Heathcliff? Would these be pretty cheap?

Any thoughts on the issues with the Ghostbusters game Zootfly is trying to get made?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- I assumed while it would be cool at first to work on a video game when it comes right down to it there isn't a huge difference between game programming and "other programming"

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Game programming is probably the most exciting programming you can do and be well paid (eg. not starting your own company or something). You get to work on a wide variety of high tech in a rapidly changing field. You're at the cutting edge of real time graphics, physics, AI, etc. It's possible to work on a really amazing game that's a cultural milestone. Doing database programming or something is never going to give you that. Of course there are negatives that balance it out, high stress, long hours, bad managers, etc.

I would never work at EA except as a stepping stone to a better job, you're right they treat their people like crap (though they do pay overtime now and it's easy to hide your laziness in their mess if you want to).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now I certainly don't regret my decision. Excuse my while I go lie down in the middle of the road and wait for a large truck to run me over...

thirddan,

The position I was considering was "software developer", it was going to be development for one of their sports titles (I'm not sure if I should say which one) on the PS3/Xbox360. I was told it was mostly C++. I don't know much more beyond that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 PM

I'd like to write the music for video games. Any tips/advice/knowledge on achieving these goals?

Also, just out of curiosity, please could you give names of some of the different software programmes you were using to make the games.

Interesting thread btw.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious about how licensing works with older or more obscure licenses. One of the best examples I can think of is Back to the Future. There were several games made 15-20 years ago, but what if a company wanted to make a next-gen BTTF game today? Would it even be possible?

Would the license belong to whoever owns the movie license, or does it likely still belong to a videogame company? How much do you think that would go for, and would it be a set price, royalties, or both?

What about an old cartoon that is no longer in the public eye, something like a Danger Mouse or a Heathcliff? Would these be pretty cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can usually work out either way, whatever makes more sense to the situation and the price they want. I've been part of looking into a few licenses. It's a weird thing because some license owners have no idea WTF is going on and will give you a license for $50k or something insanely cheap (this used to be common). Nowadays people seem to think "ZOMG Video Games = $$$$$" which isn't true either. Sometimes old licenses become a mess where it's hard to track down the real license holder. A ton of cartoon licenses are already owned by production companies or big game companies that bought the option for cheap so you can't get to them.

It's unlikely that a publisher would be very excited about an old license like that. The main thing a publisher looks for is "how many people will buy this game based solely on the license".

[ QUOTE ]

Any thoughts on the issues with the Ghostbusters game Zootfly is trying to get made?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't followed that.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to write the music for video games. Any tips/advice/knowledge on achieving these goals?

[/ QUOTE ]

See earlier detailed post.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, just out of curiosity, please could you give names of some of the different software programmes you were using to make the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... games encompases almost everything you can do on a computer : sound, music, video, art, 3d, coding, writing, etc. so we use a lot of different programs.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:03 PM

jaffa,

my company uses mainly maya/zbrush for modelling/animation/rigging...when i toured blizzard a few years back they used 3dsMax...we also use a ton of in house progs for more specialized work...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 AM

How long did it take before you were offered some technical creativity/freedom in your work? I mean rather than being assigned to implement feature 'x' in 'y' manner, you were given the freedom to simply implement feature 'x' as best as you saw fit. I ask since I'd previously been pursuing game development. My first games related job left me jaded. It seemed there were a strictly limited few with any true creative/technical freedom. Everybody else was just glorified automatons.

What studios in Austin were you talking about? SOE and NCSoft are here but.. meh. Know Naylor? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 AM

Cbloom,

I am really enjoying this thread! Thank you!