Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Marty Schottenheimer fired

[ QUOTE ]

Needle,

I wasn't really asking...although good answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I shoulda known better, sorry. I'll take this time to say I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Keyra.[/hijack]
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 AM

As an aside, if you trade a player, do you take a full cap hit (as if you released him)?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, if you trade a player, do you take a full cap hit (as if you released him)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe somebody with more know than me can answer it better but, I am under the impression that the team that trades for takes on the salary. I think there is some amortization that the original team has to pay and that will count against their cap. So both teams have to pay just the team that is taking on the player takes more of a hit.

The reason I say this is some reason fans of the Jaguars want to trade for Randy Moss. Obviously the Jags will never do this due to his salary. On Jaguars.com the senior editor always says, "Why would you want to take on a 9.3 million a year salary for a player that doesn't compete at that level?" He is extremely knowledable on the salary cap and writes fantastic articles on the Jaguars cap situation at this time of year. It's on the website now actually.

That's just the way I see it and I'm fairly confident in it.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:19 AM

That is true (afaik), but not really what I was asking. Let me clarify.

When you release a player, the remaining balance of their pro-rated signing bonus counts against next year's cap. I have no idea if this happens when you trade a player.

For example, Team A signs John Doe to a 4 year, $40M deal with a $10M signing bonus during the 2007 offseason. Roughtly $2.5M of that signing bonus would count against the 2007 cap, as well as the 2007 salary. If they then released him, they would take an additional $7.5M cap hit. If they trade him, do they take that same $7.5M hit?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 AM

Fink,

Ok, It took some digging and I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but here is an example.

[ QUOTE ]
For the sake of this discussion only, and with no intent to suggest the following players are even on the trading block, let's take a look at Raiders wide receivers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter. Oakland should have about $6 million of cap space if they stand pat with the roster. Moss is scheduled to count for $11.7 million on the 2007 cap. His salary is going to be $9.75 million and if he were traded, the Raiders would get back the $9.75 million of space minus any outstanding potential accelerations. Moss' accelerations are only $2 million, so the net of trading Moss for the Raiders would be a salary-cap gain of $7.7 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL.com story

It looks like Moss' "ammortization" is about 4 million. That is what will hit the Raiders cap. I'm assuming that the team that trades for Moss takes on the other 7.7 million.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM

Only the remaining prorated signing bonus money is hit towards the new team, correct.

But had the Chargers signed Brees to a one-year deal, they could have traded him and paid the tax, they were plenty under the cap this year and basically would have been paying for whatever draft picks they received back.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Seriously lol chargers. The most talented team in the league, and you somehow lose both your coordinators and your HC without promoting one of them? WTF?

If you're the chargers, you can salvage this by picking up a Ryan or Ron Rivera. I don't think there's that many good young OC's out on the market, but there are good DC's out there.

I seriously wouldn't go with Pete Carroll if I was the chargers.

Also, some crappy team needs to hire Marty right now.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Possible choices.

The Mooch.
Mike Martz.
Deion Sanders.
Mike Singletary.
Dan Reeves.
Norm Chow.
Don Shula.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Possible choices.

The Mooch.
Mike Martz.
Deion Sanders.
Mike Singletary.
Dan Reeves.
Norm Chow.
Don Shula.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Matt Millen? Not sure anyone else could think these would be reasonable hires.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Possible choices.

The Mooch.
Mike Martz.
Deion Sanders.
Mike Singletary.
Dan Reeves.
Norm Chow.
Don Shula.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you Matt Millen? Not sure anyone else could think these would be reasonable hires.

[/ QUOTE ]

they don't need martz b/c they already have a great offense, unless they want to develop rivers more...

is everyone really that down on mooch?? i thought he was a decent coach...

on carrol, y would he want to leave the college scene when he has everything set up for at USC?? he should take note of saban and stay where he was, especially since he didn't exactly crush the NFL when he was there several years ago...