Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

every one of lil waynes album.
sprinkle in some nas (illmatic/stillmatic/) jay z - black album/every tupac cd/dipset/cam/juelz yadda yaddaaa
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reflection Eternal, Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek. Production easily tantamount if not superior to Kanye's heralded (and overrated) stuff, and lyrics for days. Such variety in that record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing CD. I've listened to it straight through hundreds of times and I'm still not sick of it. Kweli + Hi-Tek = best combo ever
Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 AM

Stuff like this is too hard to make any really significant ranking imo.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Ok, In no particular order my top 10 albums are;

1. DMX Grand Champ

If only for the 1st track intro, one of the best pieces of rap DMX has ever done.

2. Goodie MOB Soul Food
3. Nas It Was Written

Awesome lyrics throughout especially 'I gave you power'

4. Nate Dogg G Funk Classics (maybe not so hip-hop)

Legendary voice and can listen to this for days

5. Tim and Mag Indecent Proposal

Sick beats throughout, and I find Timbalands and Magoo's rap really contrast well together.

6. 2Pac All Eyez on Me

No comments necessary presumably

7. Thug Life

Only 10 tracks, but all great ones, good lyrics, some of 2Pacs finest rapping.

8. Bone Thugs The Art of War

Double CD so it has more songs and squeezes into the top 10. Particularly fond of 'Neighbourhood Slang'

9. Nas I am

As always, lyrics throughout are great, good collaboration with scarface on 'favor for a favor'

10. Gang Starr A Decade Of
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree that Lupe's album is one of the betters ones as of late, but that's mostly because we're just in a dead time for hip-hop. The middle parts of the album really are fantastic.

I'm very excited for El P and Brother Ali's new albums that are coming up.

Outkast: I love their stuff, but I have a hard time picking one album that jumps off the page at me. I think they have filler issues.

An album that I neglected to mention, that might just push EPMD off the list, is Goodie Mob's Soul Food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the comment on Outkast, they have some really great songs, but cannot seem to put them together on one album and fill the rest of it with absolute shod that hurts my ears. Also agree with Goodie MOB and was in my top 10.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

An album that I neglected to mention, that might just push EPMD off the list, is Goodie Mob's Soul Food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I haven't heard that album in so long.

Most people don't know that Cee-Lo from Goodie Mob is the MC for Gnarls Barkley.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first heard Crazy I thought it was him but then saw a different name to Cee Lo and thought, mm maybe not. This is probably my favourite album, but doesn't really fit into any kind of hip-hop/rap category.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM

The New Yorker ran a great article about the new Clipse and Young Jeezy albums and what they're calling cocaine rap.

Coke It Is

its the new yorker so obv pretentious but the writer does a great job of articulating how good Hell Hath really is... id be surprised if it doesnt stand up with some of the good ones that have been mentioned.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reflection Eternal, Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek. Production easily tantamount if not superior to Kanye's heralded (and overrated) stuff, and lyrics for days. Such variety in that record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing CD. I've listened to it straight through hundreds of times and I'm still not sick of it. Kweli + Hi-Tek = best combo ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi-Tek's production is just loathsome. Everthing I dislike about J-Dilla but much more so. Kweli's delivery and mic presence is horrible. It's an interesting contrast to Kanye, because in my mind Kanye does exactly what Kweli doesn't. He might not have the best flow or the hottest lyrics, but he's got charisma and keeps things entertaining.

I think Kweli's improved a lot, but can't stand his work from that era. Hi-Tek will always drive me nuts though.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi-Tek's production is just loathsome. Everthing I dislike about J-Dilla but much more so. Kweli's delivery and mic presence is horrible. It's an interesting contrast to Kanye, because in my mind Kanye does exactly what Kweli doesn't. He might not have the best flow or the hottest lyrics, but he's got charisma and keeps things entertaining.

I think Kweli's improved a lot, but can't stand his work from that era. Hi-Tek will always drive me nuts though.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. a LOL suffices. obviously this is all subjective, but damn this is misguided. You really should re-examine this record. Hi-Tek is doing so many sophisticated things here.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

And those sohpisticated things sound like watered down ass.

It's just a style of production that was popular in the mid-underground at that time that I really dislike. Somehow managing to be bass heavy, yet ended up as airy and lacking drive. Pretty lousy drums for the most part as well.

I like really crisp, or really gritty production. This really wasn't either to me.