Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: astroglide\'s home theater: what i own, what i would buy today

the sxrd is $300 cheaper and 1080p. the plasma is more svelte. nothing beats a side-by-side comparison to see which one is for you.

either would be a fine choice for the budget and respective technology.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 PM

gus,

jesus, that mounting job looks heinous to me. i don't even know what those top few components are? as for hiding the wiring:

1) there aren't really that many wires in that set up
2) unless you have in wall speakers, you're going to have to run the speaker wires out anyway
3) i've always found the body of my stereo to be a good enough object to block the view of the big pile of wires behind it.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gus,

jesus, that mounting job looks heinous to me. i don't even know what those top few components are? as for hiding the wiring:

1) there aren't really that many wires in that set up
2) unless you have in wall speakers, you're going to have to run the speaker wires out anyway
3) i've always found the body of my stereo to be a good enough object to block the view of the big pile of wires behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the top components are power amps.

The reason there aren't many wires is because the amps are in the foreground. They only have one input and one output. Look at the bottom right of the picture and you'll see where all the wires go.

And yes, you usually run the speakers in the wall with this type of setup. It's a dedicated home theater I got from this page:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ge=6&pp=50

Lots more interesting setups there.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 PM

a downside of rear projection sets (lcd, dlp, etc) is that they have lamps that need to be replaced. it doesn't look like my set has an internal counter that tells you how many hours it's been powered up, but i'm curious. it's been on a ton for 2.5 years and the lamp hasn't popped yet. a replacement will run about $180. i guess i should buy one pre-emptively so that i'm not waiting on an order when the inevitable occurs.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I could hide the components in the wall, then I would do wall mount. But we couldn't in our current house, so we went with the DLP.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like being able to read displays, easily insert discs, etc. i think i was absent on the day this whole techno-embarassment thing was being taught, but it seems to be quite popular with wives. monolithic furniture that opens up to reveal, gasp, a TELEVISION! hiding components too, i don't get it. are they really considered unsightly?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, when I say I would mount my electronics in the wall if I could, I meant specifically that I would build component recesses in the wall beneath the flat panel wall mount, not litterally "hide" them. I would do the same with the speakers. Hell, I would probably recess the TV flush as well. The only concern I would have would be what you addressed earlier, about being restricted by the size/shape of that type of "built in". But if I have the kind of cash flow where I'm building [censored] into the walls in the first place, I can have it redone if I need to. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But I am a floor space nut. If I had a fishtank I would build it into the wall. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
i also hate the upscale home trend where refrigerators and dishwashers are given facades and hidden handles to blend in with the cabinets. i like stainless stuff that's usable and right out in the open.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agreed. Stainless steel looks so damn sharp. Why hide it?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because most adult women disagree with you.

You should see the crazy [censored] they do to blend subwoofers as furniture...

J
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because most adult women disagree with you.

You should see the crazy [censored] they do to blend subwoofers as furniture...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

"Gosh, Bob, you sure do have one thumping Ottoman there."

And for the record, my wife loves stainless steel appliances.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 AM

Hello All......

Lot's of interesting posts in this string.

Some of them are fact and accurate: some are opinion and inaccurate.

FWIW, what is being discussed is the business that I've been in since 1970.

I'd be more than happy to share with anyone some 'no bs' info regarding almost any questions surrounding the issues that have been brought up here.

At this moment, it is the last day of the month, and as a sales weasel, I don't have the time to post anything of length here at the moment, but I would be more than happy to attempt to answer any questions that you might have.

One of the things that I will do when I have the time is attempt to address all the misinformation going around out there in regards to plasma/LCD screens; there is much 'bad' info, and it needs to be addressed.

Very quickly on plasma 'burn-in'.....The newer generation plasma sets are not as bad as the early ones in this regard, but they can still be burned in.

Depending upon which screen you might have, burn-in CAN occur in as little as three hours!

If you've run into this, don't fret, as there is actually an inexpensive way to deal with this, and I'll share it with you later on.

Right now, I've got to get to the office.....Business awaits!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Myrtle, where the heck were you when the last hundred or so HDTV threads hit OOT?

This contribution alone may be justify EDGD's existence.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM

myrtle i'm sure we all welcome any corrections or insight, but you could just post when you've got the time and let the facts speak for themselves instead of citing credentials. your post read to me like a kind of presumptuous "i'll clue you in after i'm done being a professional" announcement. please don't take this as a personal assault, i'm just saying i think it's a bad approach. imagine if somebody went to a strat thread and said, "i'm a pro holdem player, and most of you have it wrong." especially if they didn't claim what or why.